Mrs Yang's

Gladys

If you are going to spend 2 or 3 hours sitting down, in company, eating, comfortable chairs, warmth, and a room that looks good and isn't cavernous or decorated in jarring clashing colours is better than an off putting venue? Think its called ambience, good ambience can affect how the food is perceived. Part of the whole experience.

I think the nearest authentic Chinese is Ma Bo on Nelson Street in Liverpool China Town. Its like a 1960's Chinese greasy spoon. Vinyl floor tiles (many of which have missing corners) formica tables and no credit cards. Chinese duck hanging in the window. Rudest staff you could ever hope not to meet. But the food is not westernised or watered down flavour and texture wise. Often I'm the only non Chinese eating there.

?

Not contradictory woody2. Ma Bo is small comfortable cafe style and Service is fast. There's acceptable decor for greasy spoons, transport cafes through to Michelin starred places. It's a very personal thing. Ma Bo may be simple a scruffy, but it isn't soulless or OTT, it's right for what it is. So is Mrs Yang's.

There was a Chinese restaurant off China Town in London, Poon's. Formica everywhere, fluorescent lights etc. But the food was good and cheap. There was another restaurant actually in China Town which was predominantly used by the local Chinese residents, authentic cuisine. I went for the duck feet and fish lip stew which was actually as bad as it sounds.

I'll try anything once.

Not contradictory woody2. Ma Bo is small comfortable cafe style and Service is fast. There's acceptable decor for greasy spoons, transport cafes through to Michelin starred places. It's a very personal thing. Ma Bo may be simple a scruffy, but it isn't soulless or OTT, it's right for what it is. So is Mrs Yang's.

I agree with JW . The location depends on what the meal is for. I had dinner on Feb 14 th at Mrs Yang's and it was very nice. It was a bit more expensive than similar on the Island but the quality of the food and the service and ambience was spot on .

I do like the food at A cafe ( me and mrsmadmanx go there for lunch at least twice a month as its cheap and cheerful) but that's not a place where you want to go on Valentine's day.

I wouldn't take mrsmadmanx for a special dinner at four seasons at Chinatown in London (Chinatown). You have to queue to get in and the service is very very rude.

But we still go there twice a year as the roast duck there (roast duck and not the crispy duck) is melt in the mouth and the best in the Uk as per my chinese friends.

Simlar with Indian food at the Punjab at Neal street at Covent garden. Excellent food but not a place for a relaxing sit down meal .

spot on mad_manx.

I occasionally eat at one of the several Bangladeshi curry houses in Manchester's Northern Quarter, that gentrifying area between Shude Hill, Hill Street, Piccadilly and Tib or Oldham Streets. They offer rice and three different dollops of curry (mainly veggie) for £4 or £5 (with one meat dish). Service takes seconds, some you can sit inside.

They started off to feed the workers in the garment industry. They only open at lunch time. Its pre cooked and served from bain maries, when that days cooking is gone, its gone.

Food is excellent, presentation is just as described, dollops, bit like sub continent version of school meals, but flavours are great.

This and that @ Manchester is an example (probably JW might be talking about the same place)

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d732222-Reviews-This_That-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

http://www.thisandthatcafe.co.uk

Its only a 5-10 min walk from the Arndale centre but difficult to find (I had to use my GPS)

Very basic but the food is very nice!!!!

Chicken feet...mmm. Jelly fish. Chicken blood soup.

Never tried chicken feet, but quite partial to duck feet. When at Uni in Leicester, they were the cheapest thing on the menu, so if you wanted to eat Chinese, that is what you had! A student grant certainly sorts out faddy eating.

Archived