Water, Sewerage Rate up 6.4% - in line with inflation........

woolley

catch up, the less electric we use the more they charge per unit, it is a captive market and they have a monopoly. unless you can do without electric you are going to be paying no matter what they charge.

You've missed my point. If they keep putting up the tariffs people will use less. If the MUA raise them by 10%, they won't automatically get the 10% increase in revenue that they hoped for. If they put them up again the same thing will happen. With the charges for water people have no way of reducing what they pay.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh dear, Alf seems to be modelling himself round Eddie's profile on his latest radio snip.

Effectively said we'll consider which price hike makes the most money.

What else can they do though? They've been left with the enormous MEA debt due to the mismanagement of Bell, Proffitt and co. If you keep on putting up electricity prices, people can, to some extent, decide to use less. And the technology of energy reduction (such as light bulbs, LEDS and so on) helps with this as well as the options to switch to other energy sources.

The water and sewage rates on the other hand are charged irrespective of usage. Put that up and people have to pay whatever. This was one reason for the merger of the MEA with the Water Board, despite all the bogus claims about efficiencies[1]. People have to have water and support for the MEA debt had to come from somewhere.

[1] I believe the other main reason was that they wanted to get rid of some people and, rather than simply sack them, as he had done in previous situations, Bell put an enormously expensive reorganisation in place to try to sideline them.

In the real world though Roger you cannot just sack people. So this way it probably worked out cheaper.

We are going to pay more for less. It was always going to be the case.

catch up, the less electric we use the more they charge per unit, it is a captive market and they have a monopoly. unless you can do without electric you are going to be paying no matter what they charge.

You've missed my point. If they keep putting up the tariffs people will use less. If the MUA raise them by 10%, they won't automatically get the 10% increase in revenue that they hoped for. If they put them up again the same thing will happen. With the charges for water people have no way of reducing what they pay.

Well I will still try to reduce my electricity consumption BUT on the other hand there will be no bars on water consumption - plenty of baths instead of showers and peeing and sh..ting as often as possible and flushing the loo. Sod conservation on that now.

So, to save money on electricity, we go out and buy low energy light bulbs, at great expense, which gives the Gov't a higher VAT take, and adds to the taxable profits of the sellers, who then pay more tax.

They can't lose, can they?

Should we all be getting solar panels and wind turbines?

Archived