No Teachers For Our Kids-- Why ?

mannin1

Once again our Gov't Mandarins have buried the proverbial heads in the sand with a complete refusal to accept that their economic plans are placing our remaining children's futures in jeopardy.

This is not confined to the teaching profession but is relevant in all sectors that need to attract professionals from off island health, etc.

Wages are being kept at an unattractive level, whilst living costs are proving more and more of an obstacle to anyone wishing to locate here.

This new Gov't have to finally admit that enough is enough, taxing people till they bleed is killing this Island and making it NOT a "Nice Place To Live And Work"

All the new intake of politicos seem to have totally forgotten their manifestos with their greed for the CM's shilling.

Onchan is a classic example with Julie and Rob, who made many promises but then, once elected , make an odd objection to trivial matters but then, to protect the co-min premium, conformed to the CM's edicts, Reminiscent of Bells admin IMHO.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reality is there is little choice now other than to cut costs. Plus we have a health crisis, and are rapidly heading onto an education crisis to follow.

What education crisis?

Funding and recruitment...according to head of NUT visiting here this week.

I am afraid we have a bit of a problem don't We?

Most threads are full of posters saying that the government/public sector needs to be reduced. Now we have a thread saying they need more spending.

Can't have you're cake and eat it.

I am afraid we have a bit of a problem don't We?

Most threads are full of posters saying that the government/public sector needs to be reduced. Now we have a thread saying they need more spending.

Can't have you're cake and eat it.

Unfortunately it's top heavy in all the wrong area's.

Once again our Gov't Mandarins have buried the proverbial heads in the sand with a complete refusal to accept that their economic plans are placing our remaining children's futures in jeopardy.

This is not confined to the teaching profession but is relevant in all sectors that need to attract professionals from off island health, etc.

Wages are being kept at an unattractive level, whilst living costs are proving more and more of an obstacle to anyone wishing to locate here.

This new Gov't have to finally admit that enough is enough, taxing people till they bleed is killing this Island and making it NOT a "Nice Place To Live And Work"

All the new intake of politicos seem to have totally forgotten their manifestos with their greed for the CM's shilling.

Onchan is a classic example with Julie and Rob, who made many promises but then, once elected , make an odd objection to trivial matters but then, to protect the co-min premium, conformed to the CM's edicts, Reminiscent of Bells admin IMHO.

Not true unfortunately Mannin 1

Several MHK's including myself have attended two meetings with teaching union representatives in order to listen to their concerns.

We have also attended a briefing that outlined their concerns and the differences between teaching in the UK and the Isle of Man including Pensions, Wages, Housing and Cost of Living.

What election promises have I failed to deliver re. Teachers?

Not true unfortunately Mannin 1

Several MHK's including myself have attended two meetings with teaching union representatives in order to listen to their concerns.

We have also attended a briefing that outlined their concerns and the differences between teaching in the UK and the Isle of Man including Pensions, Wages, Housing and Cost of Living.

What election promises have I failed to deliver re. Teachers?

If your comparing all of those things you have 0 chance of enticing anyone to come here and work.

Teaching isn't that well paid as a profession. I imagine this is another case where people look at the price of housing, the cost of living, and the cost of getting on and off the IOM and say 'bugger that' as the tax benefits are largely offset by everything else. I know several Manx people who qualified as teachers in the UK who literally can't afford to come back. The mess they've made of the unified pension scheme is probably another big issue. The same as the hospital recruitment problems - why risk transferring your pension here to potentially have it nicked by a bunch of greedy civil servants? You wouldn't want to take the risk especially when the pension is a big motivator for those who work in teaching.

Teaching isn't that well paid as a profession. I imagine this is another case where people look at the price of housing, the cost of living, and the cost of getting on and off the IOM and say 'bugger that' as the tax benefits are largely offset by everything else. I know several Manx people who qualified as teachers in the UK who literally can't afford to come back. The mess they've made of the unified pension scheme is probably another big issue. The same as the hospital recruitment problems - why risk transferring your pension here to potentially have it nicked by a bunch of greedy civil servants? You wouldn't want to take the risk especially when the pension is a big motivator for those who work in teaching.

You don't have to transfer your pension here.

hboy is right.

Teachers do have to transfer their pension here and it here it remains no matter what. It is probably the number 1 reason why teachers won't come here followed by most the other stuff in hboy's post #11.

Archived