William Kennish

gettafa

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree, they should have sent a Manxman.

I too would be interested in the costs of the trip and accomodation and general expenses. Rodan would turn up for the opening of a packet of biscuits I suspect.

A lot of people paid into a fund for this headstone. How ironic if Rodans costs approached that amount.

It didn't actually need a politician...just the family and organisers.

Aye the Scottish accent didn't really didn't conjure up any sense of Manxness about it for me. Would have been better if the Chairman of the Nth American Manxies had done the eulogy, at least his adopted home and relatives might have felt more included. I'm probably wrong but I can't help thinking that Mr. President muscled in on this.

I'm an English stay over but I do recognise that some "national" events/occasions almost demand the Manx drawl to make it authentic. Anyway, it shouldn't detract from the fact that he was a clever and determined yessir (Kennish that is, not Rodan).

To make it really authentic a Manx speaker should have been there. Manx was William Kennish's first language and he cared about it deeply.

Hasn't Phil Gawne got enough air miles already?

Actually it seems quite appropriate in a way that the eulogy be delivered by a Scot. The Manx have never really been that insular in the emotional sense and have usually been accepting of outsiders and equally have been willing to go out into the world. Which is why Kennish is buried in Brooklyn not Maughold.

I agree.

On a similar note, isn't the name supposed to be pronounced 'kinnish'. I always thought so but noticed recently some people with the surname say it 'kennish'.

I think a lot of Manx names are a bit like that? One example is Faragher, some prefer it to be pronounced Fargher because some Faraghers were sheep rustlers apparently!

I wonder who decided it would be a good idea to send an official representative to a gathering of 14 people. If indeed Mr President was representing the Government. If he was there in his own capacity as an interested citizen, fair enough.

Archived