Taxpayers to dig for £20M for Liverpool Dock

Non-Believer

2 minutes ago, finlo said:

Ok then back to my question of a week or so ago why does the other berth need extensive (expensive) alterations when it could just dock there?

My recollection is that the Ben berth is better suited to freight handling, marshalling, tug masters on and off, weight capacity on a day to day basis.

The linkspan usually used by Manannan is still an adaptation of the McGregor linkspan. The control cabin still says McGregor on it. So it’s getting to end of life. It’s approaching 46 years old and is in its 4th reconfiguration.

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

My recollection is that the Ben berth is better suited to freight handling, marshalling, tug masters on and off, weight capacity on a day to day basis.

The linkspan usually used by Manannan is still an adaptation of the McGregor linkspan. The control cabin still says McGregor on it. So it’s getting to end of life. It’s approaching 46 years old and is in its 4th reconfiguration.

Not sure if it is what you call the control cabin but I did see the outline of the name 'Manxline' on a part of the Manannan linkspan when meeting someone off the boat a week or so ago.  Was quite surprised. 

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

Not sure if it is what you call the control cabin but I did see the outline of the name 'Manxline' on a part of the Manannan linkspan when meeting someone off the boat a week or so ago.  Was quite surprised. 

It says McGregor on the white structure. McGregor designed the linkspan in its original floating form, the one that was storm damaged and sank in 1979. McGregor still design and build linkspan. I’m pretty certain the linkspan at the new Liverpool terminal.

IMG_4818.jpeg

3 hours ago, finlo said:

Ok then back to my question of a week or so ago why does the other berth need extensive (expensive) alterations when it could just dock there?

I have already answered. I believe its just to stop the tail sticking out into open water and to provide more lashing points for the longer ship.  That's what was explained to me anyway. 

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

I have already answered. I believe its just to stop the tail sticking out into open water and to provide more lashing points for the longer ship.  That's what was explained to me anyway. 

As she will be stern onto the link span the “tail” won’t be sticking out into open water, or anywhere else.

Just now, John Wright said:

As she will be stern onto the link span the “tail” won’t be sticking out into open water, or anywhere else.

Not when on the link span. When tied off in a storm. That's why it's not urgent, unless we have a big storm of course. Something to do with the hydraulic movement of water in the harbour. 

My source may be talking crap of course, but if you look at the plans, that's what they are doing. 

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I thought the Manannan berth was shallower and was not suitable for Manxman on all tides

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Not when on the link span. When tied off in a storm. That's why it's not urgent, unless we have a big storm of course. Something to do with the hydraulic movement of water in the harbour. 

My source may be talking crap of course, but if you look at the plans, that's what they are doing. 

The Ben already has her bow substantially proud of the end of the Edward Pier. Does the Ben get turned round and tied off in a storm? Or does she get positioned slightly  forward from the linkspan with her ramp raised to avoid damage to the linkspan and ramp?

Im sure you’re correct about extra rope points and the dolphin structure.

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Also has Manx-Line on it, which the former harbour master wanted to paint and highlight when IOMG took the linkspan from IOMSPC 😀 (ah as @Gladysalready noticed!)

Edited by b4mbi

14 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

Also has Manx-Line on it, which the former harbour master wanted to paint and highlight when IOMG took the linkspan from IOMSPC 😀 (ah as @Gladysalready noticed!)

That linkspan/pier always belonged to IoMG. It was the one on the other side of the Edward that belonged to the SPCo

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

That linkspan/pier always belonged to IoMG. It was the one on the other side of the Edward that belonged to the 

https://www.gov.im/media/1348386/guide-to-the-user-agreement.pdf

The King Edward pier linkspan always been govt owned

manannan Victoria pier linkspan, which is what I was referring to  was owned by IOMSPC until IOMG bought the company.

Edited by b4mbi

32 minutes ago, b4mbi said:

https://www.gov.im/media/1348386/guide-to-the-user-agreement.pdf

The King Edward pier linkspan always been govt owned

manannan Victoria pier linkspan, which is what I was referring to  was owned by IOMSPC until IOMG bought the company.

Yes, Bambi, it was the linkspan that Manannan berths at that still has 'Manxline' on it (painted over).