MLC nominations open

notwell

20 hours ago, Donald Trumps said:

Alistair Ramsay is standing on a ticket of 'Independent Political Scrutiny.

He’s sunk then. That’s far too scary for the club.

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, gettafa said:

There has been at least one occasion where a candidate has been nominated, and then seconded....and then received only one vote in the secret ballot.

But it’s no longer secret and the electorate isn’t just limited to as many votes as seats, oh, no, this “special” electorate can vote for every candidate.

51 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But it’s no longer secret and the electorate isn’t just limited to as many votes as seats, oh, no, this “special” electorate can vote for every candidate.

That’s probably to paper over the cracks of their mathematical limitations. 

Unless the proposed candidate is known to be a complete eejit, it would be churlish of MHKs to refuse to nominate/back a person seeking support under this procedure

. I do believe that it is the candidate approaching MHKs in most cases.

Under this system it could well be that having supported the nomination, the MHK would not necessarily vote for that person and this is probably not any different to the past.

There were last minute changes of allegiance in the CM vote.

With 15 candidates there are going to be close second places and many disappointments?

I don't believe that there should be a public vote for Legco, if that were brought about, that would be the end of any meaningful reform for 50 years.

Just listening to Marlene Hendy's MTV interview. She seems to be there for the right enough reasons, but one thing, she has a perception of the work that is involved as a Member of the Legislative Council. "I know the work that goes on, the gargantuan task the politicians have, in ploughing through reams of paper, understanding, interpreting and taking forward the right legislation for our community".

I think I can see why one or two have decided to leave their easy seat now. Get out while the going's good, before they er, get found out.*

*Although they have been found out already, haven't they

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Just listening to Marlene Hendy's MTV interview. She seems to be there for the right enough reasons, but one thing, she has a perception of the work that is involved as a Member of the Legislative Council. "I know the work that goes on, the gargantuum task the politicians have, in ploughing through reams of paper, understanding, interpreting and taking forward the right legislation for our community".

I think I can see why one or two have decided to leave their easy seat now. Get out while the going's good, before they er, get found out.*

*Although they have been found out already, haven't they

"Understanding, interpreting....legislation". "Gargantuan task".

There's only currently Poole-Wilson who's even remotely qualified to do that, as a lawyer. Some of the rest can provenly barely string two written words together. Postmen. Ferry company mouthpieces. Farmers. Washed up MHKs.

£50k a year reward for the dress circle in the club. No qualifications required.

Thank you. You make the point far more accurately and stronger than I tried to.

I think there has to be more an understanding about the affects of legislation on society as a whole. That said, a  lawyer  will generally be aware of that legislation when they have to deal with it and hopefully how to make it better for society (rather than for their own bank account - and no, that is not being cynical).

And to be fair, despite the name, it is not all about legislation. And the thought of LegCo full of lawyers? All I can say (excuse the profanity) is - "fuck me")

Archived