Dacia

Rhumsaa

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, paswt said:

I know folk who could buy exotic machinery but choose not to .

I'll own up to running a 17 year old Skoda (from new) , I could afford a "more decent" car but frankly can't be bothered .

That said when it come to vintage  motorcycles I do go a bit "up market".

S'pose it's a case of "different folks...............  ":flowers:

This. I was once parking up into a tight space in town and my phone started ringing momentarily distracting me. I ignored it and completed the manoeuvre and then noticed in my mirror an extremely animated looking chap jumping around on his seat in a very expensive looking brand new BMW. I got out and approached him.

"Did I touch you?"

"Yes. You did!"

"Well it must have been barely at all because I didn't feel anything."

We both performed a forensic examination of both vehicles. Nothing. I apologised to the clearly distraught victim as we both walked away from the scene.

"You know you really shouldn't have a vehicle like that. It's only going to cause you worry and heartache. You need something like mine. You can leave it anywhere and it never causes a moment's grief." He regarded me as though I were mad of course, but it's absolutely true. For carefree motoring drive something old and reliable, keep it well maintained and you need not worry. Nobody wants to pinch it. If it gets scuffed; not a problem. After all, you get exactly the same view on the journey no matter how much you paid for your ticket.

The postscript was that when I returned to the car, the other party had already gone and I realised he'd been on double yellow lines. Bugger shouldn't have been parked there in the first place!

4 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

@pongo Contrasting with sticking the new BMW into the top bit of your 110% mortgage, as was the fashion in Ireland in the mid 2000's.  What could possibly go wrong?

Indeed. What could possibly go wrong? :)

There are multiple issues - in particular these are loans against the value of depreciating assets. And in many cases that poor quality risk is being re-packaged and sold on. Just the same as in the run up to 2007/8. If you have to work out whether you can afford the payments on a thing then you shouldn't be able to get the loan. The same as it is now, quite rightly, much more difficult to get a mortgage.

The Federal Reserve and the Bank of England have been warning about this for a while. About car loan deliquency and about the high levels of personal debt in general. Not particularly because they care about the individuals taking those loans - but because it builds up risk in the system itself.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-28/-deep-subprime-becomes-norm-in-car-loan-market-analysts-say

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/banksandfinance/12058508/Meet-the-sub-prime-lender-that-has-just-cracked-the-FTSE-100.html

4 hours ago, mojomonkey said:

Rhumsaa strikes me as the sort who couldn't care less what others thought of him so I doubt that would put him off. 

With Sports Direct opening the days of Mountain Warehouse are numbered, with that skill set a career in manx politics surely beckons.

50 minutes ago, j2bad said:

With Sports Direct opening the days of Mountain Warehouse are numbered, with that skill set a career in manx politics surely beckons.

I'm pretty much sure the guy in Mountain Warehouse only looks like Rhumsaa. He isn't actually Rhumsaa.

11 minutes ago, JackCarter said:

I'm pretty much sure the guy in Mountain Warehouse only looks like Rhumsaa. He isn't actually Rhumsaa.

Also works at tesco collecting trolleys,  there is no skill he cannot master.

2 hours ago, JackCarter said:

could be anyone

30 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

could be anyone

Your current steer looks very clean and tidy  (clocked you this morning ) for what reason are you looking to change. Is it for better economy etc etc?

Just now, finlo said:

Your current steer looks very clean and tidy  (clocked you this morning ) for what reason are you looking to change. Is it for better economy etc etc?

Economy is definitely a major factor

I will probably retain my current vehicle for the weekend

Just now, finlo said:

Fair enough, what you have are not renowned for their frugality.

Absolutely not.

Which I accept, but for day to day commute I'd prefer a more economical option.

I had a little spin in a Sandero today which was surprisingly pleasant tbh. It's just whether the Diesel or Petrol option can handle the mountain road without resorting to ragging 2nd gear.

Archived