Anty- Ant Powder

LightBulb

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Try not to feel too bad about a few dead molluscs the bees. It's the beautiful birds that you have poisoned after they ate the dead snails that i would feel most guilty about. 

Fear not, I have mesh over the veg patch to stop the cats from fertilising the garlic :) I trust this will also save the birds (unless afore mentioned cats get them, in which case they are gone, scratched out cat mafia style) 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BigDave said:

Fairly confident I saw some on the shelf in Jac Stores. Unless it was substitute after all, can't say I looked too closely.

Alas, it's a "safe" substitute.  The latest science thing is that boron based things like borax and boric acid cause infertility.  Or maybe it's because they do certain things a lot better than the expensive chemical alternatives.

For instance, if you sprinkle some boric acid powder in your footwear it gets rid of all fungal growth including athlete's foot.  (Boric acid is less toxic than table salt, and one of the weakest acids.  It tastes like chalk.)

20 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Icing sugar, several kilos near where they live. You can get it from most general food shops. 

Do you understand that i want to get rid / kill them and not breed them, or have more then i already have.

19 hours ago, thebees said:

What is wrong with ants, why kill them? They're just minding their business making hills and stuff. I'm in turmoil over snails at the moment, they ate my kale, my sunflowers, my Dill and my Basil so I got busy with the blue pellets I don't like to kill things but the rehoming plan clearly wasn't working for them (they came back) so now they've had to die. RIP posh slugs.

Wouldn`t mind if they just minded there own business, but they are running over my desk and keyboard, and becoming a pain.

18 hours ago, BigDave said:

Fairly confident I saw some on the shelf in Jac Stores. Unless it was substitute after all, can't say I looked too closely.

Will try them tommorow, as that seems to be the most sencible answer so far.

19 hours ago, thebees said:

What is wrong with ants, why kill them? They're just minding their business making hills and stuff. I'm in turmoil over snails at the moment, they ate my kale, my sunflowers, my Dill and my Basil so I got busy with the blue pellets I don't like to kill things but the rehoming plan clearly wasn't working for them (they came back) so now they've had to die. RIP posh slugs.

Put beer out. Slugs love beer. Collect and give to birds. 

26 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

When you say may, i assume you dont know and have just made that up ?

*May* because it depends on the age of the ants and where they are in their breeding cycle. It's an old trick used by ant-keepers.

18 minutes ago, GD4ELI said:

*May* because it depends on the age of the ants and where they are in their breeding cycle. It's an old trick used by ant-keepers.

How the hell do i tell how old they are, and where they are in the breeding cycle ?

15 minutes ago, LightBulb said:

How the hell do i tell how old they are, and where they are in the breeding cycle ?

Clearly you're not an ant breeder. The IOM ant-breeder society is online somewhere, just Google and you'll find it.

Try this link: http://bfy.tw/BtMz

Archived