Anty- Ant Powder

LightBulb

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The powders are generally shit. I use the gel filled traps. They take the gel back to the nest and it kills them all off reasonably quickly. A good option if they're getting into the house as it's way cleaner than a powder.

Icing sugar is an interesting choice. Not sure it would get rid of them rather it would keep them entertained for a bit. If you want to go old school on them mix icing sugar and borax 50/50 and feed that to them instead. Boiling water also handy for rinsing down afterwards.

7 minutes ago, BigDave said:

The powders are generally shit. I use the gel filled traps. They take the gel back to the nest and it kills them all off reasonably quickly. A good option if they're getting into the house as it's way cleaner than a powder.

Icing sugar is an interesting choice. Not sure it would get rid of them rather it would keep them entertained for a bit. If you want to go old school on them mix icing sugar and borax 50/50 and feed that to them instead. Boiling water also handy for rinsing down afterwards.

Have you tried buying Borax recently?  It's suddenly been regulated to protect us from harm.  Likewise Boric acid.  The Borax substitute isn't quite the same thing.

The sugar/boric acid thing seems to be very common.  I'd guess the main thing with icing sugar is the cornstarch.

The Internet has some ant-bait recipes.  You can still buy borax and boric acid from eBay.

30 minutes ago, BigDave said:

I remember using gel stuff years ago when they started getting into the kitchen. We went through bottles of the stuff, they seemed to love it and it had little effect. 

What is wrong with ants, why kill them? They're just minding their business making hills and stuff. I'm in turmoil over snails at the moment, they ate my kale, my sunflowers, my Dill and my Basil so I got busy with the blue pellets I don't like to kill things but the rehoming plan clearly wasn't working for them (they came back) so now they've had to die. RIP posh slugs.

The kilos of icing sugar was a joke really, I thought it would attract loads of wasps and serve you right for your planned mass insecticide, but it turns out that mixing it with bicarbonate or soda or borax actually works!

Archived