Mayweather vs McGregor

Merkin

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, the amount of hammerfists McGregor was raining down in the clinch was comical, should have been multiple points deducted. 

I'm surprised it went on as long as it did, Mayweather was looking for the big time punch which never landed properly. McGregor was fighting on empty from the fifth round on really, there was no power in his punches and his form got progressively worse. Mayweather looked in complete control for the whole fight, even in the first couple of rounds which he lost on points, he was just figuring him out. 

8 minutes ago, ans said:

Yeah, the amount of hammerfists McGregor was raining down in the clinch was comical, should have been multiple points deducted. 

I'm surprised it went on as long as it did, Mayweather was looking for the big time punch which never landed properly. McGregor was fighting on empty from the fifth round on really, there was no power in his punches and his form got progressively worse. Mayweather looked in complete control for the whole fight, even in the first couple of rounds which he lost on points, he was just figuring him out. 

I would like to think that this is the last of these farcical payday boxing matches. Somehow I don't think it will be...

I used to be a boxing fan, 20+ years ago, in the time of Tyson, Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Barry McGuigan, Chris Eubank... But it's had its day in my opinion.  Too much of a circus rather than a man-on-man contest.  Too many weight classes, too many 'world titles'.

But, this 'fight' attracted my attention.  Perhaps it did the same for others and will reinvigorate boxing, while bringing MMA to a wider audience.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a re-match of sorts.

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

I used to be a boxing fan, 20+ years ago, in the time of Tyson, Frank Bruno, Nigel Benn, Barry McGuigan, Chris Eubank... But it's had its day in my opinion.  Too much of a circus rather than a man-on-man contest.  Too many weight classes, too many 'world titles'.

But, this 'fight' attracted my attention.  Perhaps it did the same for others and will reinvigorate boxing, while bringing MMA to a wider audience.  Wouldn't be surprised to see a re-match of sorts.

If it does it will have feck all to do with "boxing " and everything to do with lining bank accounts 

I think you're more likely to see McGregor fighting Malignaggi although not quite the same level of draw. I believe Mayweather when he says he's done now. 

All that aside, the best fight for a long time is happening on 16th September when Golovkin takes on Alvarez. That's going to be a war. 

That's a proper super fight.

There's a lot to admire about McGregor really.  He's a very good MMA fighter and he's made himself a big draw.  

Wrighty - I'd say more people are attending live MMA events than big boxing events these days.  Pride, Bellator and especially UFC are attracting big audiences.  I like you used to really enjoy my boxing but it's not what it was.  Hopefully the Golovkin Alvarez fight will be a cracker. 

On 8/29/2017 at 10:06 PM, notwell said:

That's a proper super fight.

There's a lot to admire about McGregor really.  He's a very good MMA fighter and he's made himself a big draw.  

Wrighty - I'd say more people are attending live MMA events than big boxing events these days.  Pride, Bellator and especially UFC are attracting big audiences.  I like you used to really enjoy my boxing but it's not what it was.  Hopefully the Golovkin Alvarez fight will be a cracker. 

I watched a couple of the fights before mcgregor v mayweather and tge stadium was empty it only started filling up 20-30 minutes before it started. If I'd paid thousands for a ticket I'd be getting my money worth. Boxing is poor these days

• 7 months later...

Archived