Mayweather vs McGregor

Merkin

I'm not really a huge fan of boxing, but I'm genuinely excited about the Mayweather vs McGregor fight on August 26th.

Does McGregor stand a chance?  The critics and bookmakers don't seem to think so.  Personally, I think McGregor is hilarious and have found myself watching his opponent trash talks and put-downs on youtube on more than a few occasions. 

Worth sticking a few quid on the underdog? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a big boxing fan but this fight is a joke. It is only going to go one way. You've got a fighter who has never been in a professional boxing match against a boxer who's entire career has been a masterclass in how not to get punched. Mayweather is going to make McGregor look like a fool. 

4 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I'm a big boxing fan but this fight is a joke. It is only going to go one way. You've got a fighter who has never been in a professional boxing match against a boxer who's entire career has been a masterclass in how not to get punched. Mayweather is going to make McGregor look like a fool. 

I fear you are correct

Having paid for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight I shan't be repeating for this one, I suspect it will be anti-climax of an event

There is a fight a few weeks later that is a true fight, GGG vs Canelo Alvarez. Both fighters are regarded very highly by everyone with an interest in the sport, Golovkin for his power and Alvarez for his constant pressure, should be a tremendous exhibition. Worth pointing out that Alvarez couldn't lay a glove on Mayweather.

4 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I fear you are correct

Having paid for the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight I shan't be repeating for this one, I suspect it will be anti-climax of an event

People were really negative about that fight, but really they should see it for what it was, which was an absolutely brilliant display of defensive boxing from Mayweather against one of the most attacking boxers of his generation. Obviously people want to see fighters fully going at it, but Mayweathers performance that day was simply astonishing.

27 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

People were really negative about that fight, but really they should see it for what it was, which was an absolutely brilliant display of defensive boxing from Mayweather against one of the most attacking boxers of his generation. Obviously people want to see fighters fully going at it, but Mayweathers performance that day was simply astonishing.

I am no boxing guru but I can accept and appreciate Mayweather's skill and his taking counter punching to an artform

However..... at 4am or whatever time it was I found it to be less than enthralling as a spectacle

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd rather be on the roof polishing my ridge tiles :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Plus it helped that Mayweather did his usual and avoided MP for five years or more.  He's never been shy of that approach either.

I agree about his defensive boxing ability. All time great at it.

As for this fight - fair play to McGregor.  Five or six years ago he was probably lucky to get fifty grand for a fight. Now he's fighting for probably twenty million plus. Amazing really.

They'll be looking for a rematch given how much Mayweather will no doubt need the money so I expect him to keep it interesting enough so that a rematch looks palatable. McGregor of course will be more bothered about a rematch than anything else.

Everyone goes on about Mayweather avoiding pacquiao, but pac  avoided him too. Also, it was only in the later stages of his career that pac  'grew' to the right size to fight Mayweather, he was always a couple of weights lighter, until him and Marquez hit the juice for their 3rd(?) fight. Mayweather fought everyone, and while some of those fights came at times to Mayweathers advantage (de la hoya and Mosley for age, Cotto on the back of the margarhito disgrace) when you are the champion you get to pick and choose. 

I'll still probably end up watching this even though I think its a joke. The first ucouple of time McGregor goes down will be him swinging wildly and missing, after that it'll be floyd jabbing his head off. I think McGregor will quit on his stool around round 8 after realising how utterly outclassed he is.

Round 8? It's never going to make it that far. 

Money aside, there's nothing in this for Mayweather. He's overwhelmingly expected to win easily and he's putting his entire legacy at risk for an admittedly generous payday. Love McGregor and think he's a fantastic entertainer and ruthless MMA fighter but he's got little chance in this. However, it's a chance. McGregor is going to be unorthodox, he's going to move differently than Mayweather is expecting and the punches are going to come from weird angles. You can't completely rule out McGregor landing one flush on his chin in the opening couple of rounds but after that, conditioning is going to play a big part. He looked gassed against Diaz at times and spent a lot of time in the third round running away. There's just not that place to hide in a boxing ring. 

Just imagine though....

I'll watch it for the spectacle but it's not a fight anyone is watching for a boxing classic. 

in a different era this would be an exhibition match for 2 broken fighters who ran out of money

Tyson vs Shamrock seems so much more likely in theory

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Went to round 10! All in all easy for Floyd though, let McGregor have the first couple and then start picking him off. McGregor was knackered by the end. It was actually better than I thought it was going to be though. Bedtime.

I didn't stay up for it but I got up at 6am to find a recording somewhere, took me awhile as it appears the fight was delayed. Much better fight than I anticipated, Mayweather was in control the whole time, he tired McGregor out and then unleashed some furious punches in the later rounds. Will this be the last of Mcgregor in the boxing ring?

Archived