Who tried to kill Bushy's tent?

Albert Tatlock

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

Bushes are an icon, there is nowhere on earth that is so good at letting people come up with a successful idea and then some beggar pinches it or tries to emulate it, pathetic just pathetic.

Trees are more iconic than bushes. Bushes are just trees that refuse to grow up...:rolleyes:

18 hours ago, hissingsid said:

Bushes are an icon, there is nowhere on earth that is so good at letting people come up with a successful idea and then some beggar pinches it or tries to emulate it, pathetic just pathetic.

So iconic that you cannot even get their name right.

A beer tent and live music is hardly a new idea.  Music festivals have been doing the same thing for decades.

Bushys just used the TT brand to promote themselves before anyone else realised that it could be a brand.  

Bushys without that is just another brewery.

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

So iconic that you cannot even get their name right.

A beer tent and live music is hardly a new idea.  Music festivals have been doing the same thing for decades.

Bushys just used the TT brand to promote themselves before anyone else realised that it could be a brand.  

Bushys without that is just another brewery.

I dont agree. Bushy's has always had its unique grungy brand even back in the days when they had the Zhivagos / Yates Wine lodge site with the stuffed fox in there and all the weird brick-a-brac. That shabbiness was then sort of replicated at the Rovers Return. I don't think Bushys stole or took anything much from the TT brand. They had a dirty bikers bar well before they had the tent. People forget Bushys had quite a good business well before the tent happened. 

To an extent, I think the powers that be allowed the tent site at Bushy's to kind of appease Martin.

It's a great pity Martin didn't get the Loch Hotel when the lease of the pub ran out - I think it was perceived that there would be problems with noise and so the damper was put on that site.

The Central Hotel was at this time kind of ready to finally close as a pub. It hadn't been a hotel for years. That would have been ideal and for many years the area in front was used during TT by Triumph, and latterly B & H Formula One. The Central had a large concert room not unlike the one that was at Bushy's. Yep, it was  ideal - except it was owned by Heron or Brearly/Okells. So there was no chance of getting that, which was a great pity.

Any word of the TT2018 location yet?

I hope it goes well for all involved, there should be plenty of custom for two tents - Bushy's was getting just a bit to much this year. So maybe it has outgrown itself and it is actually the right time to move on, and up..

Ohh, I hope so. If that is the case this is great news.

Other than the beer tent and the FunFair, the Promenade has gone quiet over the past 10 years or so. Summerland was always busy and held the prize presentations, The Palace capitalised upstairs and downstairs and for a few years - prior to Bushy's Tent -  was centre of attraction with The Bike Shed (aye, and the Bike Shed Babes), other places have simply closed down such as Castle Mona/Studebakers, The Imperial 'Imps, The Crescent etc. And for a few short years The Venue was the main attraction.

The Villa/Villa Gardens is a fantastic TT venue but some years it has been under used. Bushy's Tent and all that goes with it will make sure that area is well used and appreciated.

Good.

Archived