Who tried to kill Bushy's tent?

Albert Tatlock

I really do not get this slavish loyalty to Bushys.  I get that it has long been associated with the TT but only because they took advantage of the event more than any other brewery/pub.

The location on the Bushys beer tent is hardly sacrosanct either.  It only ended up there because they used to have a pub across the road.

Now all the street entertainment has gone it's just become a beer tent and stage located on a car park.  It can easily be relocated.

As for the new one by hooded ram.  If they are offering something different then let's see how it goes.  If it is still shit then at least the council is getting more out of it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

How are they getting more out of it? David Christian admitted that it wasnt the highest tender. 

Just because it wasn't the highest does not mean it wasn't more than the previous deal that was in place with Bushys. 

I suspect Hooded Ram actually put together an offering that makes it look like some real effort will be made. I'm hopeful it'll be more than just a rank piss smelling beer tent that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Going to interesting when the new site is announced shortly !!! That's going to put the cat amongst the pigeons

and if I was Hooded Ram I would be worried !! 

There is no reason why the two can't nicely co-exist. This can be a classic case in economic terms, that is when say a jewellers shop opens up in the same street as one that has been there for years. It looks like serious competition at first but in fact business increases and becomes good for both.

A street with a lonely pub is just a street with a lonely pub. Same street with 2 or 3 pubs becomes a hive of activity.

That is, of course, if Bushy's is opening up nearby for TT2018.

29 minutes ago, gettafa said:

There is no reason why the two can't nicely co-exist. This can be a classic case in economic terms, that is when say a jewellers shop opens up in the same street as one that has been there for years. It looks like serious competition at first but in fact business increases and becomes good for both.

A street with a lonely pub is just a street with a lonely pub. Same street with 2 or 3 pubs becomes a hive of activity.

Where is there in close proximity to to the bottleneck or the promenade that isn't controlled or influenced by Douglas corporation? only places I can think of are Steampacket property.

41 minutes ago, hagar the horrible said:

Where is there in close proximity to to the bottleneck or the promenade that isn't controlled or influenced by Douglas corporation? only places I can think of are Steampacket property.

My money is on the land where the ice rink used to be (owned by AXA?), next to RBSI.

https://www.google.com/maps/@54.1498369,-4.4769337,3a,60y,224.41h,95t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGtVbcYx5CtFlT_cNABnbhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

3 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

I really do not get this slavish loyalty to Bushys.  I get that it has long been associated with the TT but only because they took advantage of the event more than any other brewery/pub.

The location on the Bushys beer tent is hardly sacrosanct either.  It only ended up there because they used to have a pub across the road.

Now all the street entertainment has gone it's just become a beer tent and stage located on a car park.  It can easily be relocated.

As for the new one by hooded ram.  If they are offering something different then let's see how it goes.  If it is still shit then at least the council is getting more out of it.

Eloquent and correct.

38 minutes ago, hagar the horrible said:

1 hour ago, gettafa said:

Nearby wouldn't discount other areas on the prom though would it !! And while a site and competition is not really the main issue as you rightly said compitition is good certainly for punters. 

No the main issue is if Bushys is up and running ,and they will be , Hooded Ram are going to struggle for 50 plus staff to operate . 

Bushys staff will stay loyal fir sure and probably will also the sound ,bands ,lighting etc. It's really tough to find enough people to Man the bottleneck if your not Martin !

8 hours ago, gettafa said:

It looks like Douglas Corporation have used their PR Adviser (see recent minutes of Council meeting), and put out a Facebook survey about their parks. This will stop people talking about Bushy's BeerTent.

Well of course they have to have a PR adviser.  They're the capital of a proper country, you know.  That means they should employ at least as many people as the Mayor of London.    But that Facebook posting of the Agenda[1] is rather revealing because, it says "that the Council are not obliged to accept the highest tender and referred Members to the commentary set out in the report comparing the two proposals".  Which confirms that Bushy's was in fact the higher bid and raises the question what it was that made the Hooded Ram's bid attractive enough to over-ride what is the normal way of awarding such things.  Surely the ratepayers are entitled to know?

There is a hint where it says Members noted that the Bushy’s tender was qualified in that it specifically excluded the supplemental fee, but there's nothing to say what such a fee consists of.  It might be some sort of percentage on sales over a certain amount.  Or maybe just free drinks for all councillors.

Of course the viability of any alternative Bushy's tent will depend on it getting all the right permissions, even if they find a decent site.  It might well be that the Council object to any application, especially if it might affect any income they get from a 'supplemental fee'.  And we know from the Castletown fiasco that the Police are sensitive about possible 'disorder'.  So Bushy's might not find it as easy as could be hoped.  Naturally that will make the whole process look even more corrupt, but that never seems to worry those in charge.

[1]  Typically done as an image meaning they are less readable - your better looking at  the actual 'Agenda' .   As with most such agenda items for full Council, the decision had already been made by the 'right people' on the Committee (in this case Environmental Services) and  has of course been announced, so there's very little the Councillors can do.  Indeed nothing in this case as the motion passed included the requirement "The successful tenderer be notified immediately after the Committee decision and be requested to sign the first year’s licence to enable them sufficient time to plan the TT 2018 event".  You'll remember that Bushy's complained that the tendering process was left far too late and should have been completed before this year's TT and this tardiness is now used as an excuse to push the result through the deal in a way the councillors can't overturn.

I know where it's likely to be...and it's not anywhere that's been suggested ..it's going to  cause a shit storm though

when contracts are finally signed ! And yes bands are likely to be fine although remember most work so if it's a them and us 

I'm sure Bushys will come out top. Bar staff and security though is a whole different issue I've run a very large, be it indoor ,

bars in TT week years ago and it's  really tough to get staff ..can get bodies but good staff mmmmm !! Not easy 

Archived