No Cycling on the Mountain during ManxGP

Tarne

@JDC Sorry don't understand the second paragraph at all.

Re what's the point - the point is that there *seems* to be no strong historic statistical evidence that cycling has caused road safety problems on the mountain section during events either to cyclists themselves or to other road users. If improving road safety is the objective then there are other, vastly better options that could be imposed, but they are inconsistent with the ethos of the event.

ETA: And because of this, it feels like either knee-jerk reaction or double standards, or both. I'm open to sensible counter argument, though.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

@JDC Sorry don't understand the second paragraph at all.

Re what's the point - the point is that there *seems* to be no strong historic statistical evidence that cycling has caused road safety problems on the mountain section during events either to cyclists themselves or to other road users. If improving road safety is the objective then there are other, vastly better options that could be imposed, but they are inconsistent with the ethos of the event.

ETA: And because of this, it feels like either knee-jerk reaction or double standards, or both. I'm open to sensible counter argument, though.

You are right of course in that there are other ways to make the road safer. A speed limit, a ban on motorcycles etc.

But the bottom line is that won't happen. We are talking about a moto cycle event. On that basis it seems sensible to look at potential additional dangers and manage those risks.  People cycling up the Mountain during TT or FOM is an unnecessary risk and whilst there may not have been huge issues to date that doesn't mean it won't happen and shouldn't be looked at.

5 minutes ago, notwell said:

You are right of course in that there are other ways to make the road safer. A speed limit, a ban on motorcycles etc.

But the bottom line is that won't happen. We are talking about a moto cycle event. On that basis it seems sensible to look at potential additional dangers and manage those risks.  People cycling up the Mountain during TT or FOM is an unnecessary risk and whilst there may not have been huge issues to date that doesn't mean it won't happen and shouldn't be looked at.

I as a cyclist have a legitimate right to cycle across the mountain highway, unfortunately during race weeks we entertain motor cyclists who wish to ride stupid and faster than their ability allows, and they are therefore a danger to me. So the correct measures to take, is to let the idiots crack on and stop other road users who are no danger to others but are in danger from boy racers and wannabee Guy Martins. Flawed logic somewhere. 

40 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

If you think riding a bike on the mountain during MGP is dangerous and stupid to the point that you wouldn't do it why are you arguing for people to be able to continue to do it?

Surely the same argument can be applied to people riding motorbikes over the mountain during the TT or MGP. Over the years masses have been killed doing exactly that. It's clearly very dangerous. Have many cyclists been hurt?

The issue is with people going much too fast on what is basically a country road. That's the thing which needs to be addressed. Why not introduce, say, a 50 limit to discourage people from imagining it is a course?

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i guess so,   bus lanes,  cycle lanes,  disabled parking bays,  roads with weight and/or height limits.  i suspect given enough time rather than the last minute rush this current shite is  banning cycles from the mountain road would be doable. BUT  i would then expect the pissed of lycra clad brigade to be up there on roller skates, skate boards and mini scooters.

Roller blades and Barbie mini scooter at the ready. Still not seen if pedestrians are banned,  I could carry the bike.

5 minutes ago, pongo said:

Surely the same argument can be applied to people riding motorbikes over the mountain during the TT or MGP. Over the years masses have been killed doing exactly that. It's clearly very dangerous. Have many cyclists been hurt?

The issue is with people going much too fast on what is basically a country road. That's the thing which needs to be addressed. Why not introduce, say, a 50 limit to discourage people from imagining it is a course?

Because I assume if we did that people would stop coming for the FOM and it would fold. Like it or not our own government sells speed and open roads to people to get them over here. I dont like that too much either. But I guess it's what they think they pay for and if we stopped them doing it then they'd stop coming. So keeping 3 militant cyclists off the Mountain for a few days is probably the simpler option for their own safety. 

6 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

Because I assume if we did that people would stop coming for the FOM and it would fold. Like it or not our own government sells speed and open roads to people to get them over here. I dont like that too much either. But I guess it's what they think they pay for and if we stopped them doing it then they'd stop coming. So keeping 3 militant cyclists off the Mountain for a few days is probably the simpler option for their own safety. 

That's a fair point. Then again - if it isn't about making it safer then what actually is the point?

The future of the TT, probably now missed - would have been as an all electric event about the technology, engineering and design. Which was how it started. It should be for geeks. It should be about how far you can go, not how fast.

35 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

The number of posts you've made on the subject already strongly infer that you are not. 

You mistake engagement and genuine interest in discussion with an entrenched position.

Stop being silly.

Unless your objective was to try and wind me up, in which case, lol.

30 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

Agree on the need for speed to keep the FOM part, but if the authorities really cared about cyclist safety, they would be bringing in year round all Island safety legislation for cyclists. This decision is in no way about cyclist safety,  more about speedster / Boy racer comfort.

48 minutes ago, BeachBoy said:

I as a cyclist have a legitimate right to cycle across the mountain highway, unfortunately during race weeks we entertain motor cyclists who wish to ride stupid and faster than their ability allows, and they are therefore a danger to me. So the correct measures to take, is to let the idiots crack on and stop other road users who are no danger to others but are in danger from boy racers and wannabee Guy Martins. Flawed logic somewhere. 

This is the problem with a lot of cyclists. A legitimate right?

It's common sense. The fact is that when the TT and FOM are on the priority needs to go to road traffic.  That's what the two weeks are about.  Cyclists need to act accordingly.   Not start banging on about their rights or going on the Mountain to try and prove some sort of point.   

Archived