No Cycling on the Mountain during ManxGP

Tarne

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

But it's not a motorway. And it's a question whether there is any basis in law from prohibiting certain classes of road user from certain pieces of road that are fundamentally indistinguishable from other pieces.

i didn't say it was a motorway but features distinguishing it from other pieces of road are...

1. it's one way for the period

2. there is no speed limit on it 

I would suggest that combination warrants serious consideration as to what classes of vehicle can use it over those periods. 

5 minutes ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

i didn't say it was a motorway but features distinguishing it from other pieces of road are...

1. it's one way for the period

2. there is no speed limit on it 

I would suggest that combination warrants serious consideration as to what classes of vehicle can use it over those periods. 

It's not one way for this period though.  Just the TT. 

And it's not unique in having no speed limit either.

It feels like a knee-jerk reaction to some of the stuff that happened this year during TT, and thus a good example of the politician's syllogism.

Re my earlier post on a statistical basis for the policy, it feels as if it's missing the point.

I wonder if the flurry of online activity while I was asleep was just because of the reversed one way sign or because of second thoughts.

9 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

But it's not a motorway. And it's a question whether there is any basis in law from prohibiting certain classes of road user from certain pieces of road that are fundamentally indistinguishable from other pieces.

i guess so,   bus lanes,  cycle lanes,  disabled parking bays,  roads with weight and/or height limits.  i suspect given enough time rather than the last minute rush this current shite is  banning cycles from the mountain road would be doable. BUT  i would then expect the pissed of lycra clad brigade to be up there on roller skates, skate boards and mini scooters.

22 minutes ago, WTF said:

i guess so,   bus lanes,  cycle lanes,  disabled parking bays,  roads with weight and/or height limits.  i suspect given enough time rather than the last minute rush this current shite is  banning cycles from the mountain road would be doable. BUT  i would then expect the pissed of lycra clad brigade to be up there on roller skates, skate boards and mini scooters.

Thanks for the examples of restricted use, still wondering if they closed the circle on the 'vires' for prohibition :Dbefore publishing.

P.s. Just for the hard of thinking I wouldn't think of riding a bicycle on the mountain during the events. Not really the point, though.

5 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

what's the point of an official notice if it's not authorative ?

I don't know. It seems daft. Can you use that as a defense in court for travelling the wrong way over the mountain during TT? Probably not as the signage is there, but IANAL

27 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

P.s. Just for the hard of thinking I wouldn't think of riding a bicycle on the mountain during the events. Not really the point, though.

Surely it is the point? 

If you think riding a bike on the mountain during MGP is dangerous and stupid to the point that you wouldn't do it why are you arguing for people to be able to continue to do it? Do you also support people's rights to put their hands in fires or jump off cliffs? 

10 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What even where that law would seem to be entirely sensible and protects cyclists from the risk of death or serious injury? Personally it doesn't bother me. If cyclists want to wipe thems lives out on the course thats totally fine by me. But questioning the legality of a perfectly sensible temporary traffic measure that will probably help save lives just looks ridiculous. 

If they really wanted to keep cyclists safe, then why not push through the "Katespace or 1.5 metre legislation"  along with the "Vulnerable Users / Presumed Liability" Rules. This will soon weed out the people genuinely concerned with cyclists safety and the racy people who are just angry at having to slow down and take care around other legitimate Road users.

Archived