No Cycling on the Mountain during ManxGP

Tarne

In a way it is a totally bizarre suggestion that cyclists - or road users should be banned from using a road because of the antics of other users. 

But it's equally bizarre that a major road is one way for a fortnight because of poor riding by motorcyclists. 

Or that we don't have an all-Island speed limit because it might discourage bikers from coming here. 

But this is the Isle of Man where bikes are king, so I suppose it makes a warped kind of sense. 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha Ha, the f/b post by Police Roads Policing unit has just been removed :lol:  

it had a string of comments on it, and it's just totally vanished from their feed

...and the picture of the order has gone off infrastructure f/b as well :lol::lol:

#cockup

(in case anyone missed what this is all about)

2017 mgp roads.png

I see the two way road sign used is the wrong way round and indicates that traffic should be travelling on the right hand side of the road . Perhaps this is a trial to see if driving on the opposite side of the road  will help our continental visitors . Lets hope they put the correct two way traffic signs in place when it comes to those used on the road.

6 minutes ago, emesde said:

I see the two way road sign used is the wrong way round and indicates that traffic should be travelling on the right hand side of the road . Perhaps this is a trial to see if driving on the opposite side of the road  will help our continental visitors . Lets hope they put the correct two way traffic signs in place when it comes to those used on the road.

maybe it's just for MGP period, then we go back to normal :lol:

Good old MF - getting to grips with the big problems. And the first of many MGP threads too.

For those who want to look the road closing order has been published. I'd normally link to it but if you can't be bothered looking then feck yas all.

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Good old MF - getting to grips with the big problems. And the first of many MGP threads too.

For those who want to look the road closing order has been published. I'd normally link to it but if you can't be bothered looking then feck yas all.

you're joking, right ?, there's fat chance of finding anything you're looking for on gov.im cr4p website

4 minutes ago, piebaps said:

Does it mention cycling being banned? 

26 minutes ago, emesde said:

Well spotted that man. 

58 minutes ago, Tempus Fugit said:

Ha Ha, the f/b post by Police Roads Policing unit has just been removed :lol:  

it had a string of comments on it, and it's just totally vanished from their feed

...and the picture of the order has gone off infrastructure f/b as well :lol::lol:

#cockup

(in case anyone missed what this is all about)

2017 mgp roads.png

What's the betting someone from the AG's office has looked at the regs and suggested that it can't be done without going thru the due process?

44 minutes ago, Mr. Sausages said:

Does it mention cycling being banned? 

Yes: https://www.gov.im/residents/roadnotifications/Notification.aspx?id=11801

"The Mountain Road will be open to TWO-WAY traffic during the Festival. Cycling will also be prohibited for safety reasons between Ramsey Hairpin and Creg ny Baa Back Road from 9.30 a.m. on Friday 18 August 2017 until 4.30 p.m. on Monday 4 September 2017."

3 hours ago, Tempus Fugit said:

the NO CYCLING bit does look like an unconnected afterthought, with no specific times and dates when and how it applies, except the implied association with roads closed times, which is nonsense.

They'll be wanting to ban cars, vans, trucks and buses next, which is all very well until the Laxey road gets shut and they divert the Ramsey bus over the mountain !

I also heard a road safety advert on the radio this morning, saying "let's ALL share the roads safely"  - what a joke :lol:

(and the Police are wanting to recruit another bod for their road safety team, haven't the DoI got a team of about 15 doing the same stuff ?

cycle-proficiency-training.jpg

#morebloat

Looks like another gravy train job for a retired cop.

1 hour ago, Butterflies said:

Yes: https://www.gov.im/residents/roadnotifications/Notification.aspx?id=11801

"The Mountain Road will be open to TWO-WAY traffic during the Festival. Cycling will also be prohibited for safety reasons between Ramsey Hairpin and Creg ny Baa Back Road from 9.30 a.m. on Friday 18 August 2017 until 4.30 p.m. on Monday 4 September 2017."

Presumably walking is OK, so all the cyclists will have to get off and push.

Archived