No Cycling on the Mountain during ManxGP

Tarne

16 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

But it's not a motorway. And it's a question whether there is any basis in law from prohibiting certain classes of road user from certain pieces of road that are fundamentally indistinguishable from other pieces.

What even where that law would seem to be entirely sensible and protects cyclists from the risk of death or serious injury? Personally it doesn't bother me. If cyclists want to wipe thems lives out on the course thats totally fine by me. But questioning the legality of a perfectly sensible temporary traffic measure that will probably help save lives just looks ridiculous. 

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But accident statistics show that the people most likely to have the accidents in these circumstances are motorcyclists.  So on your argument, it should be them who are banned from the Mountain Road.  And I'd also like to see the legal basis for this rather than just the usual DoI "Because we want to do it".

True. But in order to host the event we have to have motorbikes here. It's unavoidable really that we will have bikes speeding as that's what they come for (encouraged by IOMG). I can't stand the DOI but surely to keep accidents to a minimum when the bikes are here for a biking event it makes sense to stop people cycling where bikes are frequently doing 100mph plus? 

20 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

What even where that law would seem to be entirely sensible and protects cyclists from the risk of death or serious injury? Personally it doesn't bother me. If cyclists want to wipe thems lives out on the course thats totally fine by me. But questioning the legality of a perfectly sensible temporary traffic measure that will probably help save lives just looks ridiculous. 

How many cyclists have been killed or seriously injured during racing periods as a consequence of the additional traffic?

How many deaths or serious injuries have been caused by cyclists during the same periods.

I suspect the answer is probably zero to both over say the last 10  years.

How many deaths or serious injuries have been caused by motorcyclists riding at speed inappropriate to the conditions or by rider error?

i suspect the answer is most of them.

There are likely to be other more effective, but ultimately unpalatable and inconsistent with the ethos of these events, ways of improving safety.

Prevention is better than cure.  Preventing cyclists being on the Mountain seems a sensible long term measure.

I suspect most cyclists have no interest in being up there anyway it's just the minority of the "we'll do what we like" brigade that will kick up a fuss.

4 minutes ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

How many cyclists have been killed or seriously injured during racing periods as a consequence of the additional traffic?

I'm all for you having the opportunity to find out just how dangerous or life threatening it is. It doesn't really bother me at all if any cyclist is found in a ditch having been clipped by a Kawasaki at 110 mph. But really this is clearly a preventative measure for peoples own good. Why challenge it? It means you can't ride your bike in the Mountain for 5 days. Is it really such an issue? 

28 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

True. But in order to host the event we have to have motorbikes here. It's unavoidable really that we will have bikes speeding as that's what they come for (encouraged by IOMG). I can't stand the DOI but surely to keep accidents to a minimum when the bikes are here for a biking event it makes sense to stop people cycling where bikes are frequently doing 100mph plus? 

I think it's much more to do with the emergency services than the DOI.

Should bikes be travelling at +100mph on an open road? If they must travel that fast then close the road to all vehicular traffic except bikes for a period of time so they can commit Hari Kari but without the emergency services being present. Anyone speeding at any time during the open road period should get what's coming to them according to the law.

23 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

I'm all for you having the opportunity to find out just how dangerous or life threatening it is. It doesn't really bother me at all if any cyclist is found in a ditch having been clipped by a Kawasaki at 110 mph.

Jeez, angry internet shouty man is never far from the surface with you, is it.

I'm out. Maybe there'll be some sensible posts in the morning.

the NO CYCLING bit does look like an unconnected afterthought, with no specific times and dates when and how it applies, except the implied association with roads closed times, which is nonsense.

They'll be wanting to ban cars, vans, trucks and buses next, which is all very well until the Laxey road gets shut and they divert the Ramsey bus over the mountain !

I also heard a road safety advert on the radio this morning, saying "let's ALL share the roads safely"  - what a joke :lol:

(and the Police are wanting to recruit another bod for their road safety team, haven't the DoI got a team of about 15 doing the same stuff ?

cycle-proficiency-training.jpg

#morebloat

5 hours ago, BeachBoy said:

So because motorist's will be riding and driving even more inappropriately than usual, other legitimate Road users get forced off the road. 

Unfortunately, it seems the right thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Jeez, angry internet shouty man is never far from the surface with you, is it.

I'm out. Maybe there'll be some sensible posts in the morning.

Who is being angry or shouty except you? Honestly it's foolish to continue down this route when all they are trying to do is protect some people from getting killed. It will be for 5 days. 

3 hours ago, notwell said:

He's right though Beachboy. 

Cyclists are a danger to themselves up there in TT week but more importantly they are a danger to other road users. 

With the road up there being two way this is even more the case.  

Sensible move and long overdue.

Stop kidding yourself that cyclists are causing the danger. 

As a cyclist, the last place on earth I want to be is on the mountain amongst leather clad idiots. What I do object to is that instead of getting to grips with the real problem ie riding at excessive speeds, let's just ban everybody else.

Archived