Premier Inn

Dave Hedgehog

38 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I know the man employed by Dandara who's already been briefed on it as his next job :)

It's obvious really. DD have some good plots all over Douglas that they've land banked. So they offer up almost the shittiest plot they have in Douglas to be developed for a Premier Inn to get planning on that site. If you were Premier Inn you could have your pick of sea facing plots if you wanted to Develop a hotel yourself but DD probably want to hang on to them waiting for the next property boom. Premier have already been linked to the Imperial Buildings plot by the SPC and Lord St bus station. Why the hell would you want to open up down a back alley even if the rooms were cheap as most of the visitors would be tourists who would want to have some sort of view. Douglas is a dump. Then you get to stay up a dark back alley for £35. What a great way to position the IOM as a tourist resort. 

Also can you also imagine how bad parking would be when Douglas Corpy would do the inevitable deal with Premier Inn to let them a floor on the M & S carpark for all the hotel visitors AND they take out the 130 parking spaces when they re-do the Prom. Might as well sell your car and do all your shopping online. 

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

DD have some good plots all over Douglas that they've land banked. So they offer up almost the shittiest plot they have in Douglas to be developed for a Premier Inn to get planning on that site. If you were Premier Inn you could have your pick of sea facing plots if you wanted to Develop a hotel yourself but DD probably want to hang on to them waiting for the next property boom. Premier have already been linked to the Imperial Buildings plot by the SPC and Lord St bus station. Why the hell would you want to open up down a back alley even if the rooms were cheap as most of the visitors would be tourists who would want to have some sort of view. Douglas is a dump. Then you get to stay up a dark back alley for £35. What a great way to position the IOM as a tourist resort.

It makes no sense to me either.  It's not like Premier Inns suddenly have to have an hotel on the Island.  Views may not be a premium with them, but they're going to want the best situation available for the price and that's about the worst possible in Lower Douglas.  I've a horrible feeling that some sort of DED money may be involved in all this.

22 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It makes no sense to me either.  It's not like Premier Inns suddenly have to have an hotel on the Island.  Views may not be a premium with them, but they're going to want the best situation available for the price and that's about the worst possible in Lower Douglas.  I've a horrible feeling that some sort of DED money may be involved in all this.

I think the location issue is overly preoccupying folk. I've used a number of PIs in what might be termed "back streets" and there's no shortage of punters in those hotels. PI are also not resolutely offering themselves as "holiday" hotels so the absence of a sea view, even in what purports to be a "seaside" town, isn't inconsistent with where they position themselves in the market.  Admittedly there may be seafront sites available but the site under discussion isn't illogical, is within 150 yards of the seafront and sits slap bang at the heart of the retail "district" (close to, as others have highlighted, car parks). That site would work well. 

5 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Does a back lane need to be regenerated as a priority when we have so many vacant plots and shabby properties on the sea front? 

I agree but as Uhtred says below, it's not unworkable. They are probably aiming at the business and weekend visitor who will find and book them on their own website. It's not a bad thing for the island and may actually and eventually complement the rest of the hotel trade?  

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I think the location issue is overly preoccupying folk. I've used a number of PIs in what might be termed "back streets" and there's no shortage of punters in those hotels. PI are also not resolutely offering themselves as "holiday" hotels so the absence of a sea view, even in what purports to be a "seaside" town, isn't inconsistent with where they position themselves in the market.  Admittedly there may be seafront sites available but the site under discussion isn't illogical, is within 150 yards of the seafront and sits slap bang at the heart of the retail "district" (close to, as others have highlighted, car parks). That site would work well. 

10 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

It's completely logical.  Just the usual naysayers with the usual negative comments.

The core clientele of a PI are not looking to have a weeks holiday in there.  The main business will be around Friday to Sunday and during the week I expect they'll have a bit of business related one or two night stay overs along with business from the numerous events held through the year that attract people.

18 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Does a back lane need to be regenerated as a priority when we have so many vacant plots and shabby properties on the sea front? 

There is no chance a PI goes in a property that needs gutting.

They pop them together like a McDonald's.  Piss easy construction and fit out. Brand new.

It's a good spot will do well

54 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's obvious really. DD have some good plots all over Douglas that they've land banked. So they offer up almost the shittiest plot they have in Douglas to be developed for a Premier Inn to get planning on that site. If you were Premier Inn you could have your pick of sea facing plots if you wanted to Develop a hotel yourself but DD probably want to hang on to them waiting for the next property boom. Premier have already been linked to the Imperial Buildings plot by the SPC and Lord St bus station. Why the hell would you want to open up down a back alley even if the rooms were cheap as most of the visitors would be tourists who would want to have some sort of view. Douglas is a dump. Then you get to stay up a dark back alley for £35. What a great way to position the IOM as a tourist resort. 

Also can you also imagine how bad parking would be when Douglas Corpy would do the inevitable deal with Premier Inn to let them a floor on the M & S carpark for all the hotel visitors AND they take out the 130 parking spaces when they re-do the Prom. Might as well sell your car and do all your shopping online. 

I see win-win-win for DD.

Committed customer in Premier for the new construction.

Established sea front businesses that can't compete, fold.

DD snap up and demolish unviable old guest houses and build new "luxury" apartment blocks.

DHSC rent anything that DD can't sell.

For DD, life is rosy. Simples. :lol:

At least with Premier Inn there's a standard the rooms will meet - I'd hate to think of the standards of some of the hotels are over here. My last night in the palace would have been a nice night playing poker if it wasn't for those sordid tiny rooms overlooking the carpark. It'll attract more people over definitely

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I see win-win-win for DD.

Committed customer in Premier for the new construction.

Established sea front businesses that can't compete, fold.

DD snap up and demolish unviable old guest houses and build new "luxury" apartment blocks.

DHSC rent anything that DD can't sell.

For DD, life is rosy. Simples. :lol:

I'd say you're about right there. 

1 hour ago, Barrie Stevens said:

How much though? I answered ads in Norfolk for £39 a night and got quoted £80...Several times..That is what I mean. I am not referring to standards.

.........just checked.........7 nights, £320 for two of us.................different rates for some of the days.............

13 minutes ago, Tarne said:

At least with Premier Inn there's a standard the rooms will meet

You'd think. But that's not my experince. Or else the standard can be set quite low.

Let's face it: A Premier Inn is never going to be a choice destination. Unless you're Alan Partridge. It's for travelling reps and wedding parties. Or waiting for a flight in the morning.

Archived