Premier Inn

Dave Hedgehog

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a really shite site for a holiday(?) destination but then I suppose as it's not overlooking the sea the value of the site will be reflected as such. In fact, the Premier brand will probably be more valuable than the land itself.  

Anyway, it's welcome news. We need more beds.

More beds = more bums!

what a grim spot for a hotel in comparison to some of the empty locations in Douglas

I guess it makes financial sense though and Premier Inn in the UK aren't renowned for their pretty locations.

Decent chain though, no problem with them.

Superb - if the planners reject this they're insane. Premier Inn are well managed, excellent staff ethic, first rate accommodation for the price and offer decent food too. They may only rate as 3 star hotels but I've used them often, in various U.K. locations, and wouldn't hesitate to support the opening of one here. The fact that it's a new build and not a refurb is a bonus. We need the "endorsement" of nationally recognized brands such as this for leisure and business travellers. Bring it on.

12 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Superb - if the planners reject this they're insane. Premier Inn are well managed, excellent staff ethic, first rate accommodation for the price and offer decent food too. They may only rate as 3 star hotels but I've used them often, in various U.K. locations, and wouldn't hesitate to support the opening of one here. The fact that it's a new build and not a refurb is a bonus. We need the "endorsement" of nationally recognized brands such as this for leisure and business travellers. Bring it on.

Just hope that there's sufficient parking provision, otherwise the M&S car park will be a nightmare for the locals.

16 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

what a grim spot for a hotel in comparison to some of the empty locations in Douglas

I guess it makes financial sense though and Premier Inn in the UK aren't renowned for their pretty locations.

Decent chain though, no problem with them.

I would much rather stay in a Premier Inn in Market Street than in 95% of the shit holes masquerading as hotels on Douglas Prom

19 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Just hope that there's sufficient parking provision, otherwise the M&S car park will be a nightmare for the locals.

I don't agree.

It's an 85 bed hotel and you have two car parks either over the road or within 200 yards.   M & S isn't as full as it was (aside of peak times) but clearly the corpy would need to make it available 24 hours a day.

I would assume there will be little or no onsite parking but that isn't an issue IMHO.

And the location is fine.  They are generally in similar positions in many towns with no parking.  The parking is usually in the nearest NCP quite often.

I think it is a positive thing for the island.  Brand new purpose built hotel from a decent chain that will be fairly priced.

51 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Looks like we might be getting one

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/premier-inn-plans-unveiled-for-douglas/

Probably a few unhappy faces down at the Sefton right now.

We need a good Premier Inn. But with views out over the back of Market St and M & S? 

Maybe the Sefton has promised it won't object only if there's no chance of it having a sea view to compete with any of its sites? 

7 minutes ago, JoeyDeaconsCat said:

We need a good Premier Inn. But with views out over the back of Market St and M & S? 

Maybe the Sefton has promised it won't object only if there's no chance of it having a sea view to compete with any of its sites? 

Commercial competition is not a material planning consideration so such objection would carry no weight anyway.

Just now, notwell said:

I don't agree.

It's an 85 bed hotel and you have two car parks either over the road or within 200 yards.   M & S isn't as full as it was (aside of peak times) but clearly the corpy would need to make it available 24 hours a day.

I would assume there will be little or no onsite parking but that isn't an issue IMHO.

And the location is fine.  They are generally in similar positions in many towns with no parking.  The parking is usually in the nearest NCP quite often.

I think it is a positive thing for the island.  Brand new purpose built hotel from a decent chain that will be fairly priced.

Human nature says their customers will go to the nearest facility. All I am saying is that thought should be given to making parking spaces available, it makes sense to do that if at all possible.

Where Premier has inner city locations and have their own car parks they usually charge because they know their customers can't be arsed to walk 200m. So I don't see why the local populace should be affected if there's a solution. It just needs thinking about.

Of course, it's a positive thing for the Island and I've said that already.

Archived