Premier Inn

Dave Hedgehog

I thought the car park at Marks and Spencer's closed at 9.00pm? could be wrong, but if you stay in any of the hotels on the prom barring one or two you have to park on the promenade now that is a nightmare.  Good luck to them I say and they will need it with the crap planning department we have.

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Donald Trumps said:

I did think that but presumably new Mount Murray will hoover up Business Park business. Wonder why Dandara didn't buy the MM at much lower cost than this development

Because it probably wasn't cheaper?

Comis bought a business up at MM to put back together and operate as a business.   Dandara have a plot of land.  They've been engaged by Premier Inn to build a hotel.   That means one of two things - either Premier Inn are buying the site and paying for the construction and will own it.  Dandara get the plot sale and the build contract.  Or, Dandara fund the build, Premier Inn sign a long lease, and Dandara sell it on to someone like Ravenscroft who have hoovered up the Zurich site on the same type of deal.

Many chain hotels are operated on a licensing and franchise basis. Paying into a central pot for name, design, booking, training etc.

We shall have to wait and see what the arrangement is and who really operates it.

Mount Murray was developed/sold to planners initially as a Radisson.

1 hour ago, hissingsid said:

I thought the car park at Marks and Spencer's closed at 9.00pm? could be wrong, but if you stay in any of the hotels on the prom barring one or two you have to park on the promenade now that is a nightmare.  Good luck to them I say and they will need it with the crap planning department we have.

We stayed in a hotel on the Prom a few years back. Parked out front on Friday evening, left early(ish) at 7:45 on Saturday morning, to find we had a parking ticket timed at 7:30. This seemed somewhat petty, as the two-hour restriction doesn't start until 07:00, but the disk was still set to when we'd arrived the previous evening and they did us for "Not showing the correct time on the disk". I guess they must do that a lot, otherwise why would a warden have been prowling along there at that time in the morning? 

We've never stayed overnight again, and we never will, just on principle. The local hoteliers occasional loss is the local taxi drivers gain.

It's not going to be like most Premier Inns, where guests arrive by car off the motorway network, and require large car parks, is it? Even the airport ones generally have large car parks and offer some sort of stay, fly and park deal.

Im assuming that the majority of the year the majority of guests will fly to IoM and take a taxi. So parking provision may not be the same here.

https://services.gov.im/planningapplication/services/planning/planningapplicationdetails.iom?ApplicationReferenceNumber=17/00823/B

the hotel will be built on a site currently offering 29 parking spaces, so those will be lost.

24 car parking spaces will be provided for the hotel, on an adjoining ground floor site ( below Victory House ) These will also be lost from Douglas car parking stock. 

So 53 spaces, currently let out to office workers will disappear, in addition to 131 on the promenade.

24 parking spaces dedicated to the hotel will however be created/retained.

22 hours ago, notwell said:

Because it probably wasn't cheaper?

Comis bought a business up at MM to put back together and operate as a business.   Dandara have a plot of land.  They've been engaged by Premier Inn to build a hotel.   That means one of two things - either Premier Inn are buying the site and paying for the construction and will own it.  Dandara get the plot sale and the build contract.  Or, Dandara fund the build, Premier Inn sign a long lease, and Dandara sell it on to someone like Ravenscroft who have hoovered up the Zurich site on the same type of deal.

Option 3 is my guess.

Archived