Premier Inn

Dave Hedgehog

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's obvious really. DD have some good plots all over Douglas that they've land banked. So they offer up almost the shittiest plot they have in Douglas to be developed for a Premier Inn to get planning on that site. If you were Premier Inn you could have your pick of sea facing plots if you wanted to Develop a hotel yourself but DD probably want to hang on to them waiting for the next property boom. Premier have already been linked to the Imperial Buildings plot by the SPC and Lord St bus station. Why the hell would you want to open up down a back alley even if the rooms were cheap as most of the visitors would be tourists who would want to have some sort of view. Douglas is a dump. Then you get to stay up a dark back alley for £35. What a great way to position the IOM as a tourist resort. 

Also can you also imagine how bad parking would be when Douglas Corpy would do the inevitable deal with Premier Inn to let them a floor on the M & S carpark for all the hotel visitors AND they take out the 130 parking spaces when they re-do the Prom. Might as well sell your car and do all your shopping online. 

Wouldn't Whitbread regard IOM as being franchise territory?

2 hours ago, notwell said:

There is no chance a PI goes in a property that needs gutting.

There are actually lots of them around the country in buildings that have been gutted. GLC County Hall comes to mind and Portland Street Manchester.

However, I agree that this is a good location for them and I also think it could well lift that street out of its long endured torpid melancholy. I do wonder whether they might have considered the Cooil, seeing as the centre of gravity of business seems to be migrating up there slowly but inexorably. Great for Lower Douglas though.

The car park that they are building on is by far the most tatty thing on that street. This project should leave the area in a much better condition. I have never gone to a budget hotel like premier inn expecting a good view. When somebody selects to stay in this sort of place they are wanting a convenient location for amenities and a clean room at a reasonable price. This location is fine for the market they are aiming at. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

However, I agree that this is a good location for them and I also think it could well lift that street out of its long endured torpid melancholy. I do wonder whether they might have considered the Cooil, seeing as the centre of gravity of business seems to be migrating up there slowly but inexorably. Great for Lower Douglas though.

Considering the land they own at Cooil you'd have thought it might be a better idea. Most big businesses have relocated out of Douglas now and it's a good location between the airport and Douglas. I have to say it's an odd location in Market St and not sure I'd stay there when you could maybe stay at the Mannin and have open views down onto the prom. It will be about yield though. The can probably get a few more £10m office builds on remaining plots at Braddan, and probably don't want to use any of their good sea facing plots in Douglas as they'll be able to maximize them at some stage for housing. So they opt for a hotel on a crappy back street in the shadow of a multi story carpark instead. As non-believer says above it will probably in time bankrupt a few more promenade hotels and will allow DD to buy more premium assets on the cheap. They've destroyed most the Douglas seafront over the years so this is just another play that they will profit from.

1 hour ago, jah_pet said:

The car park that they are building on is by far the most tatty thing on that street. This project should leave the area in a much better condition. I have never gone to a budget hotel like premier inn expecting a good view. When somebody selects to stay in this sort of place they are wanting a convenient location for amenities and a clean room at a reasonable price. This location is fine for the market they are aiming at. 

Yes. There are PIs in the UK located in some absolute pits. Far worse than Market Street, Douglas. That's their market though. You go there knowing what you are going to get. You ignore the surroundings, you check in, you go to the room, you brew up, you put your feet up, maybe catch up with the news and all is welcome familiarity. You scarcely ever look out of the window because most of them don't have a view worth seeing anyway. If scenic is what you want, don't use PI.

Premier Inn are not going to be dictated to by Dandara about where they put a hotel.

A PI out at the Cooil doesn't work. Nothing to do with plot price.  The location seems perfect for them.

I've stayed at the Mannin.  Nice hotel but the views are nothing really.   The Mannin is doing fine on business customers and I suspect that will remain the case.

As much as I dislike Dandara the seafront is what it is.  History to a very very busy bygone tourist era.   Plenty of similar stories in the UK seaside towns.  And they've built no apartments in any numbers for years.   It's been housing estates and commercial.   No real 'play' to be seen here.

13 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Considering the land they own at Cooil you'd have thought it might be a better idea. Most big businesses have relocated out of Douglas now and it's a good location between the airport and Douglas. I have to say it's an odd location in Market St and not sure I'd stay there when you could maybe stay at the Mannin and have open views down onto the prom. It will be about yield though. The can probably get a few more £10m office builds on remaining plots at Braddan, and probably don't want to use any of their good sea facing plots in Douglas as they'll be able to maximize them at some stage for housing. So they opt for a hotel on a crappy back street in the shadow of a multi story carpark instead. As non-believer says above it will probably in time bankrupt a few more promenade hotels and will allow DD to buy more premium assets on the cheap. They've destroyed most the Douglas seafront over the years so this is just another play that they will profit from.

If I was holidaying in the Island I wouldn't stay on an Industrial Estate on the edge of Douglas, I'd want to be in one of the towns. If I was visiting for work I'd want to be able to walk to the office in the morning, be able to go out for a stroll in the evening. 

Premier Inns and similar work at edge of town sites and on industrial estates when the majority of clients are driving. But I doubt that many of the sales reps who visit the island bring a car or rent one. They probably get a taxi from the airport (and arrive smelling slightly of stale cigarette and Magic Tree after listening to an anecdote about the Fairy Bridge).

18 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

It's obvious really. DD have some good plots all over Douglas that they've land banked. So they offer up almost the shittiest plot they have in Douglas to be developed for a Premier Inn to get planning on that site. If you were Premier Inn you could have your pick of sea facing plots if you wanted to Develop a hotel yourself but DD probably want to hang on to them waiting for the next property boom. Premier have already been linked to the Imperial Buildings plot by the SPC and Lord St bus station. Why the hell would you want to open up down a back alley even if the rooms were cheap as most of the visitors would be tourists who would want to have some sort of view. Douglas is a dump. Then you get to stay up a dark back alley for £35. What a great way to position the IOM as a tourist resort. 

Also can you also imagine how bad parking would be when Douglas Corpy would do the inevitable deal with Premier Inn to let them a floor on the M & S carpark for all the hotel visitors AND they take out the 130 parking spaces when they re-do the Prom. Might as well sell your car and do all your shopping online. 

Dandara have sea facing plots in their land bank but they prefer to build a Premier Inn in a Douglas back street?

Archived