Manx plane loses engine

twinkle

23 hours ago, gettafa said:

To lose one engine may be regarded as misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness

23 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

And a rather fast descent.

Most aircraft are capable of descending at a reasonable and safely landable rate if both engines failed.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think some jets might have a problem. It reminds me of the TV Programme with Denis Norden, It'll Be Alright On The Night, which was about various bloopers on TV.

A journalist was asked to interview an RAF pilot looking over a new aircraft. The TV man was trying to demonstrate his knowledge, and asked the pilot "can this plane fly on one engine". The reply "I hope so, it only has one"

2 minutes ago, Battling the System! said:

However in order for the aircraft to maintain it's "lift" keeping the plane going forward, it needs to slowly descend. Given Flybe don't fly at great heights it could make a water landing a very possible outcome! Reverse thrust would also be lost if they did make it to a runway anyways.

Wrong. The Q400 can even take off and land with just one engine, though I wouldn't recommend it. 

6 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Wrong. The Q400 can even take off and land with just one engine, though I wouldn't recommend it. 

I was replying in reference to the loss of both engines not one, the answer given is pretty much in respect of any aircraft. As you mention the Q400, that only operates usually the Birmingham route whereas all others are the lighter ATR-72.

ANOTHER "technical" aircraft didn't make it to gla on Thursday, my dragon sent home till yesterday,revised flight time fri 0830,left at 11.00,whats the compo situation with this "technical" hitch as they described it,i should get plenty for the mental anguish!!.

Archived