Festivals & Events on the IOM

Steve Egglesden

9 hours ago, rodders said:

How could an event not signed off as 'safe' on the Isle of Man affect the UK results?

It's just so we get an overall picture. As I've mentioned above, there has been a lot of people nationally asked the same question. We are just hoping to get an overall idea of what goes on. To see how many promoters are getting away with it basically.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are ways of dealing with external issues like adverse weather. Like. It holding the festival on a pier in the Notth Sea in September. 

I was at Number 6 this weekend and it rained almost non-stop, there was plenty of mud. The pervious year the same thing happened and there were loads of complaints about the handling of the situation. Guess they'd learned lessons  

A new festival hasn't got that experience to draw on. Also I've noticed that an Urban Festival (Parklife, Field Day) can be worse in the event of rain because the attendees haven't brought massive packs with all weather gear and don't have a tent to return to, and sit out a storm.  

56 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was thinking of going to Beano by the sea, a festival last weekend stacked with 90s bands on a pier somewhere down south. Glad I didn't though cos 2 of the nights got cancelled cos of safety concerns about the wind.

I was at Bestival in Dorset last weekend and on the Sunday they cancelled it for a couple of hours until the wind died down enough. They cleared the arena of everyone, regular updates on Twitter and one stage remained closed whilst they secured all the stage dressings a bit better. They dealt with it brilliantly.

I watched the racing at the festval of motorcycling and felt safer than any year before, due to the ban and closure of the mountain section to cyclists, this put my mind at ease throughout the festival.

If I had decided to cycle over the mountain during the races (which I never have) I would have been stopped in order to keep me safe, and to stop me from becoming a further cyclist added to the total of ZERO casualties over the years, and none again this year.

This was in no way to aid motorcyclists and vehicle drivers who wished to drive over and above their ability without having to concentrate too much, although there may be some cynics out there.

Hurrah to the safety czars, keeping us safe from idiots who are allowed to drive too fast to be able to see properly.

I dont know if it was signed off correctly though ^_^

7 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

.............my son went the burning man festival and won't tell me anything about it..........I probably don't want to know now I've looked it up on t'internet..........

I want to go myself, but bit out of my budget! 

Archived