Make Mine a Large One...

quilp

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the prices were initially reduced in line, you could bet your bottom dollar they'd be very quickly back up to where they were. This is H&B we're talking about. The Suicidal Brewing Co. I have NEVER seen, in all my years, pubs so empty and nightlife generally so non-existent as it is in current times, largely courtesy of that concern.

As for the OFT, being a department of Govt,  they'll be nearly as far up the Brewery's arse as they are up Manx Gas's.

Rant over.

15 minutes ago, quilp said:

But how large? Does this mean paying the same for less? The report indicates it's Landlord's pushing for this move, which brings our previously generous measure into line with the UK.

Slightly less trebles all round for the OFT... 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/drink-measures-to-shrink-say-landlords/

Why would you have to have glasses specially made because of 4mm of liquid? 

Total nonsense. 

They need to reduce prices accordingly. 

20 minutes ago, notwell said:

Why would you have to have glasses specially made because of 4mm of liquid? 

Total nonsense. 

They need to reduce prices accordingly. 

It's not the glasses, it's the optics. IoM measures for 80,000 people are more expensive to produce than English, Scots or Irish for bigger markets.

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

It's not the glasses, it's the optics. IoM measures for 80,000 people are more expensive to produce than English, Scots or Irish for bigger markets.

It's says the report glasses have to be specially made.

Unless of course they mean measuring glasses.

Either way it's hardly a big deal is it?  It's not like a pub needs to order measuring glasses of optics every month.

If we see a 10% reduction in prices then fine. If not then we all know what it is.

As notty says, it means a reduction of less than the average teaspoon. Also, a quick search reveals an optic can be purchased for three quid, as an example.

In the UK a 'pint' is 95% liquid to the line, and 5% head. Is it not 100% liquid here? Without the head?

Don't know why I'm bothered about this, I hate alcohol. 

3 hours ago, quilp said:

But how large? Does this mean paying the same for less? The report indicates it's Landlord's pushing for this move, which brings our previously generous measure into line with the UK.

Slightly less trebles all round for the OFT... 

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/drink-measures-to-shrink-say-landlords/

It's nothing but the brewery seeing a way of ripping off more people. I would hope the OFT will force them to lower their prices if they are allowed to get away with smaller measures. 

It's a dying, old man's thing anyway. Youngsters are not interested in paying high prices for the dubious pleasure of sitting in pubs. Or at least not in sufficient volumes to make it viable. It they do go, they'll have loosened up with some cheap supermarket booze beforehand, or they'll drink at home in more comfort. Mainly they will find alternative pleasures. It's a world of choice and this is one without much appeal today.

Archived