Coast

Katman

Had lunch in 'Coast' today, it's in one of the hotels on Douglas Promenade. The place was pretty empty, the food was okay, but the service was very slow.

The top of the menu states they will get starters out in under 8 minutes, ours took about twenty minutes to arrive. Mains followed around another twenty minutes later and after waiting thirty minutes for deserts we gave up and asked for the bill. They apologised and knocked twenty percent off without being asked. A mumbled apology about a problem in the kitchen followed. I doubt we will be back.

1 hour ago, Tibet said:

They might genuinely have a temporary problem in their kitchen. There is no need to make long-term decisions based on short-term experiences.

Why not? It's perfectly acceptable to do so and a customers prerogative to do as they please. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. 

1 hour ago, Lxxx said:

Why not? It's perfectly acceptable to do so and a customers prerogative to do as they please. You never get a second chance to make a first impression. 

Indeed. But in the case of a restaurant, especially if I thought the food was good, I'd personally be inclined to give them another go.  I have had some excellent meals in Coast, although I haven't been for a few years.

With people too, first impressions are quite often utterly misleading.

The menu of a very well known restaurant in the French Quarter of New Orleans used to start with  "Good cooking takes time. If you are made to wait, it is to serve you better, and to please you. 

It's been many a year since I dined there last and so I don't know if still does, but it's a principle that generally holds good.

Fabulously expensive but superb. 

15 hours ago, war baby said:

They have the best views from any restaurant on the island.  That's why they retain my custom.

Know what you mean, I love looking at parked cars and cars driving past, oh look at that car it's really nice not sure about the colour though.

Archived