Applebys: Something or other about planes and VAT. CM says Panic!

Declan

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At first listening it looks like four stories here:

The ICIJ have finally gone after the Isle of Man, and have acquired / stolen documents from a prominent law firm / CSP - as I have said they would several times.

They are alleging infringements of VAT on nice shiny expensive private aircraft owned by rich folks or their proxies

The CM says "you're not dealing with the local newspaper here, you're dealing with the international investigative press" ... showing his clear contempt for the local media

Gov't have been sitting on this since February so they could have defused this bomb months ago, but they're only really acting now with an external audit by HMRC  because the UK media (BBC) are going public on it.

This matter of the Aircraft VAT will simply be the start of it. If the ICIJ have IoM documents they will cover far more than just aircraft, it's just that the "inappropriate" VAT refunds for zillionaires is a nice juicy tax haven charge to hang the IoM with.

Anybody with a brain already has contempt for our “local” press.

The question is, why are the BBC going public now, with the ICIJ refusing to prove their claim? And why did they not go public decades ago about their presenter Jimmy Saville whom they protected for years despite knowing he was a pedo, even suppressing a Panorama report on that? Got to love the hypocrisy of them posing as righteous investigative journalists. Lol.

28 minutes ago, WTF said:

along with our fake film industry ?

Yep, there is plenty that should come out about that one.

I take my hat off to Howard though.I thought his limit was people being a bit naughty with tourists grants and stuff.

800kg Jets and stuff. Wow!

50 minutes ago, woody2 said:

vat scam on the iom? never:rolleyes:

Elsewhere on the internet it’s clear that a clarification note is due to be issued by Customs and Excise on the VAT treatment that is to apply. Therefore you can pretty much guarantee that yachts and aircraft will be caught and that HMRC has had a look at the whole thing and whether we have been applying the right treatment from the start. It could be embarrassing if another VAT clawback was round the corner.

As others have said. It’s perhaps hardly a surprise to anyone who has been down to the private jet hangar at the airport which seldom seems to have any actual planes in it and where not much activity seems to actually happen. 

It's not just the private jet terminal, it's LOADS of firms over here. Anyone who deals with aviation and yachting (just type "Isle of man aviation and yachting" into google) and you'll see a shitload of firms getting very rich from this. 

The entire aircraft registry is FULL of these aircraft.

Whether it's illegal or not I don't know, but it's fucking scummy that's for sure. 

If it does go tits up because of this, that's SHITLOADS of companies that will leave overnight and lots of jobs gone.

Bang goes another of the Isle of Man's industries then. Once they start to get their claws into e-gaming the last person left needn't bother switching off the lights as their will be no electricity left to keep them on. 

Archived