We're in this together?

Stu Peters

My default feeling is that most (sadly not all) of our politicians are decent people trying their best to do a good job on our behalf. But people have recently been sending comments to my programme alleging all sorts of political 'perks' that - if true - fill me with an Orwellian dread. Trouble is, I don't know if any of them are true or just rumours from that man down the pub, so thought I'd axe the spurts on here.

• VIP/express security clearance at Ronaldsway for MHK's et al
  • Tax free pensions for Tynwald members
  • Free food/heavily subsidised dining facilities

There may be others. It might be that politicians and VIP's get priority security service as part of a paid upgrade available to all at a cost - which would be irritating but not a case of pigs being more equal than other animals. Having just handed a chunk of IOM tax over from a small UK pension payout, I'll certainly be more than miffed if the people we pay to run things are running things for their own gain rather than ours. I suspect they're not - but if anyone here would care to blow the whistle, I'm listening.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

That is correct. Amusing to read Lawrie Hooper try and claim it isn't subsidised over on FB. Sorry, Lawrie, but operating it break-even IS subsidisation: any private food retail outlet would be operating at a profit and this would be reflected in the prices. Ergo, the government canteen is subsidised by the taxpayer and prices are artificially low.

I suspect the other two are bollocks though.

12 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

My default feeling is that most (sadly not all) of our politicians are decent people trying their best to do a good job on our behalf. But people have recently been sending comments to my programme alleging all sorts of political 'perks' that - if true - fill me with an Orwellian dread. Trouble is, I don't know if any of them are true or just rumours from that man down the pub, so thought I'd axe the spurts on here.

• VIP/express security clearance at Ronaldsway for MHK's et al
  • Tax free pensions for Tynwald members

There may be others. It might be that politicians and VIP's get priority security service as part of a paid upgrade available to all at a cost - which would be irritating but not a case of pigs being more equal than other animals. Having just handed a chunk of IOM tax over from a small UK pension payout, I'll certainly be more than miffed if the people we pay to run things are running things for their own gain rather than ours. I suspect they're not - but if anyone here would care to blow the whistle, I'm listening.

Is this what counts as investigative journalism in the IOM now Stu? You publish some half arsed rumours on Manx forums and wait for people to tell you whether they’re true or not? It’s hardly Wikileaks is it? 

20 minutes ago, llap said:

That is correct. Amusing to read Lawrie Hooper try and claim it isn't subsidised over on FB. Sorry, Lawrie, but operating it break-even IS subsidisation: any private food retail outlet would be operating at a profit and this would be reflected in the prices. Ergo, the government canteen is subsidised by the taxpayer and prices are artificially low.

I suspect the other two are bollocks though.

It isn't subsidised at break even.   It's not a private enterprise.

Even then a business that did food and broke even wouldn't really be subsidising it customers.

13 minutes ago, notwell said:

It isn't subsidised at break even.   It's not a private enterprise.

Even then a business that did food and broke even wouldn't really be subsidising it customers.

Are you thick or something? It's subsidised. That's how they are able to operate at break-even, i.e. charge less.

4 minutes ago, llap said:

Are you thick or something? It's subsidised. That's how they are able to operate at break-even, i.e. charge less.

It is obviously subsidized. The government canteen is hilarious though as they all claim they still can’t afford to eat in there on their poor salaries but the food is a lot cheaper than it is anywhere else in town. 

24 minutes ago, llap said:

No, if they were getting food at less than break even, it's subsidised, if it's running at break even then by definition it clearly isn't subsidised, it's just cheap in comparison to open market values

Archived