We're in this together?

Stu Peters

All these comments about M.R. 'standing on its own two feet' make absolutely no sense. You could say exactly that about the BBC. The funding model pays for all the programming you DON'T get with a commercial station that 'stands on it's own two feet'. The licence fee rebate effectively went to IOMG (IIRC) who cleverly negotiated it and then reduced their own funding by the same amount. THEY got the benefit, not M.R. and not the taxpayer.

Albert - how can it increase income when IOMG licenced two competitors offering a cheaper product?

Woolley - I have no say in any of that stuff. I don't even make any commercials.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Albert - how can it increase income when IOMG licenced two competitors offering a cheaper product?

Totally agree. I've said on here a few times the Communications Commission should not have issued 3 licences. 2 at most. And they should not renew 1 of them. Effectively the taxpayer is subsidising all 3 stations. That's an inevitable fact given a limited advertising fund pool.

The owners of these other stations, when you take all factors into account, have taken all too much from the taxpayers teet directly and indirectly. Ron Berry and Juan Turner MLC aren't they?

On ‎04‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:58 PM, Stu Peters said:
  • VIP/express security clearance at Ronaldsway for MHK's et al
  • Tax free pensions for Tynwald members
  • Free food/heavily subsidised dining facilities

The express security clearance appears to be a made up story from whoever told you. I have also seen a Chief Min in the security queue (and the Gov too for that matter).

Tynwald pensions aren't tax free (although like the majority of occupational pensions there is an option to take a tax free cash lump sum). The full details of the scheme are published on the PSPA website. I appreciate you aren't a journalist but asking MF??? FFS Stu, you must've realized how it would end.

Finally the canteen. If you use your MF search facility you will see that it comes up in MF regularly and the last thread in 2016 actually carried quite a few facts and links to Tynwald documents. There's no free food and it's slightly subsidized although not by much.

4 hours ago, piebaps said:

Finally the canteen.There's no free food and it's slightly subsidized although not by much.

Sorry to be such a pedant but there's no such entity as, "slightly subsidised."  Something either is, or isn't, subsidised.

There should be no subsidy, in practice.

Without trawling back through this topic, I recall some earlier posters saying that they have been to this cafeteria/canteen. Assuming these people are not members of Tynwald do I conclude that anyone can walk in off the street and buy a subsidised meal? Or do you have to be signed in..... you know,  a bit like a club (!)?

Archived