We're in this together?

Stu Peters

I can only say what I have seen. 

I was in the airport security queue behind Howard Quayle, he had no preferential treatment of any sort.

i have eaten a couple of times in the government canteen and MHKs pay like anyone else.

Quite frankly I find some of these allegations childish when there is nothing to substantiate them other than pub talk.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody is denying MHKs pay for their meals in the canteen, but they're getting subsidised low prices while drawing very sizeable salaries and pushing austerity policies which are forcing many people to resort to the use of food banks. At the very least, the staff canteen should, outside of 1200 to 1400, be open to members of the general public who are on low incomes such as pensioners who have worked all their lives, paid into the system, but get nothing in return but crumbs.

4 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Nobody is denying MHKs pay for their meals in the canteen, but they're getting subsidised low prices while drawing very sizeable salaries and pushing austerity policies which are forcing many people to resort to the use of food banks. At the very least, the staff canteen should, outside of 1200 to 1400, be open to members of the general public who are on low incomes such as pensioners who have worked all their lives, paid into the system, but get nothing in return but crumbs.

That shouldn’t present any kind of security problems. Any more useful ideas?

7 minutes ago, Neil Down said:

That shouldn’t present any kind of security problems. Any more useful ideas?

Why would it present security problems? I'd rather see it closed down and a larger canteen built which could accommodate pensioners. I see no reason why government workers, MHKs, ministers, and the general public can't all eat in the same building. It's not as if there are rules in restaurants or cafes that say they all have to be segregated. I think you have an inflated sense of our elected officials' importance if you don't think the common people should eat near them, or vice versa. Who do you think pays their salaries?

Yes, I've a lot more good ideas. Just name the problem or issue and I'll let you know.

4 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Because the "common people", by which you mean the TJs of the world, would be pestering the politicians non stop over dog poo on pavements or whether the earth was flat. 

I've been in the canteen hundreds of times and never pestered a politician. It's a place for people to eat, not to carry out constituency work.

Dear God......and you wonder why you don't get decent candidates at election time ! I too was stood behind Howard Quayle in the airport queue and he wasn't getting preferential treatment. Who gives a flying fcuk about a break even meal..,...what I do care about is that these muppets get the big calls right (and on that basis there are only two or possibly three I would trust). Pensions is a slightly different matter......we all know the Government and MHk schemes are a disgrace and we need brave MHKs to step forward now more than ever to stop that madness.  But please Mr Peters, stop your vitriol - it does no one any favours and btw, aren't you subsidized by the taxpayer ?????? Thought so.

Vitriol from me? Are you a mental - I was just asking a question based on what someone told me were 100% facts in the hope someone might know! And to the earlier comments from Mediastar I haven't been employed as a journalist for over 9 years, so DO catch up. And I don't have many MHK's on the programme these days to ask.

I'm not 'subsidised' by the taxpayer either. I work as a contractor for a public service broadcaster. 

Crickey and I thought Stu had been pilloried before for being too pro government, maybe by me I can't remember LOL !

I think the legacy bigger story is the years of non contributory pensions, the years of voluntary and continuing small amounts of pension contributions coupled with huge pension rights !

thats a perk if ever I saw one !

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

I've been in the queue at the airport and Mr Bell was in the same one. I saw nothing that gave him any advantage.

Apart from the fact he probably didn't pay for his fare. I should imagine you did...

Come on Stu. Get Watterson in and get him to try and justify that totally stupid and completely unnecessay jolly to the South Atlantic.

There are less than 2,500 islanders and a large proportion of them work on the base which has about 1200 military personnel.

There are no possible synergies so nothing to be learned to the benefit of the IOM.

Nothing zilch zip zero nada.

Or better still get Mr Quayle in to explain why his administration is completely out of control as shown by the above.

9 hours ago, Rambo said:

just use any of the manx national heritage cafes, they are all subsidised......

MHKs, Am I right in thinking that these people were just normal John and Jane's up to an election last November when us idiots believing the bullshxt and detritus they spouted would be a benefit to us. I have since discovered that my tax contribution's have gone up, my thermostat has a padlock on it for fear it get's used to frequently and last but not least some of the greedy Bxxxxxxs have the cheek to claim for suncream and deodorant. IMHO the sooner this shower revert back to being normal John and Jane's the better because both the twats I voted for have done fxxk all. They have no right to special privileges for anything, I would feed them the same bullshxt they fed to me on the doorstep and charge them double for the privilege.

14 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Vitriol from me? Are you a mental - I was just asking a question based on what someone told me were 100% facts in the hope someone might know! And to the earlier comments from Mediastar I haven't been employed as a journalist for over 9 years, so DO catch up. And I don't have many MHK's on the programme these days to ask.

I'm not 'subsidised' by the taxpayer either. I work as a contractor for a public service broadcaster. 

Was it Frank?

Archived