We're in this together?

Stu Peters

2 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

No, if they were getting food at less than break even, it's subsidised, if it's running at break even then by definition it clearly isn't subsidised, it's just cheap in comparison to open market values

The fact that they operate at "break-even" and therefore charge a lower price for their food isn't the full picture, though, is it? They're not really operating at break-even, as that doesn't factor in numerous other costs which a private business would have to pay (e.g. staff wages, property rental / purchase, cleaning, accounting, insurance, health and safety, training, security, advertising, etc). When you add it all together, it's definitely not running at break-even.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, llap said:

The fact that they operate at "break-even" and therefore charge a lower price for their food isn't the full picture, though, is it? They're not really operating at break-even, as that doesn't factor in numerous other costs which a private business would have to pay (e.g. staff wages, property rental / purchase, cleaning, accounting, insurance, health and safety, training, security, advertising, etc). When you add it all together, it's definitely not running at break-even.

Does it matter ?

Lots of private firms have subsidised canteens. It's all part of the package. I don't see the problem at all TBH.

My problem with them is that most of them don't deserve to be there in the first place. Pigs at the trough is a good description for more than a few of them and they'll be even fatter in 4 years time.

5 minutes ago, llap said:

I don't know, do you? I assume breakeven means exactly that. If they mean break even on wages and costs then yes you'd be right. But is that the case, I suspect you don't know that any more than I do. 

3 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Does it matter ?

Lots of private firms have subsidised canteens. It's all part of the package. I don't see the problem at all TBH.

My problem with them is that most of them don't deserve to be there in the first place. Pigs at the trough is a good description for more than a few of them and they'll be even fatter in 4 years time.

Yes, it matters. Someone claimed it wasn't subsidised and it IS subsidised.

As for the break-even claim, it isn't even that. It costs significantly more than it brings in.

The only thing that's break-even is the individual meal. The whole organisation around it is not break-even at all but is at cost to the taxpayer.

As for private firms, they put up all their own costs so it isn't of any concern to the taxpayer.

1 minute ago, llap said:

Yes, it matters. Someone claimed it wasn't subsidised and it IS subsidised.

As for the break-even claim, it isn't even that. It costs significantly more than it brings in.

The only thing that's break-even is the individual meal. The whole organisation around it is not break-even at all but is at cost to the taxpayer.

As for private firms, they put up all their own costs so it isn't of any concern to the taxpayer.

But it still part of the job description/ entitlement/contract, to have cheapish food from the canteen.

I personally think it should be stopped and the same with the hospital canteen. Either run the lot at break even, or even a small profit, or stop doing it altogether. ( even if that is just on health grounds)

7 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Lots of private firms have subsidised canteens.

On the IOM? Lots? Could you name a few?

When I worked in London we used to have a staff canteen. But that got shut in the late 80s - most other companies closed their staff canteens about the same time. After that we used to eat at the black cab federation canteens.

52 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

I used to think that I was the most argumentative twat alive, but you have robbed me of that title.

Well, it seriously isn't written anywhere in any government "job description/ entitlement/contract, to have cheapish food from the canteen."

Archived