Credit Cards for the IOM

Rhumsaa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go into my bank and discuss it with a person, face to face.

I have an MBNA card and Mrs Baps has M&S and HSBC. All working fine. Deal shopping would be problematical and I guess everything depends on your reason for wanting one. For convenience etc, a bank issued c/card should be OK, but those headline deals via moneysupermarket and the like may be more problematical.

MBNA pulled all their affinity cards (Virgin, Lufthansa, AA, United, etc.) this week, if you have one you are ok for the moment but they will disappear eventually. It was rumoured that it was something to do with the loss of their Amex licence but I don't think so  as they pulled AA as well which was Visa only, its more likely to do with the Lloyds takeover. If you have an M&S card it will still work atm but they are not accepting any applications from IOM, this is also true of Tesco and Barclaycard.

2 hours ago, Neil Down said:

Try saving up until you can afford it...

Why ? When you can get interest free for 20 odd months. Spread the cost or let any saved money do some work. 

Crap throw away remark by you without any thought as per.

edit to add. Recommend Virgin and you get a cool card as well. I got "never mind the bollocks, Sex Pistols " one. 

It may have escaped your notice but interest rates are near shite level.

Not a throwaway remark at all, one borne out of never being in debt for things I can't afford (mortgage excluded) . Unlike the younger "must have" generation.

I've never had a credit card. I think they're too easy. You're better off saving up. Gizo's strategy may be okay for people who have very big incomes, but people on modest or low incomes should be careful because you don't know what might happen between now and 20 odd months in the future. You could max up your card then end up signed off due to an accident, or made redundant, or any number of other unexpected things that could happen. Be very careful.

3 hours ago, Gizo said:

It may have escaped your notice but interest free for 20 odd months.  Why buy full when you can spread cost. No debt. Wise up and play the game. 

If you don’t pay for it in one lump, you are in debt. Look the word up. 

Archived