Credit Cards for the IOM

Rhumsaa

8 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

thought I was being quite reasonable in my response tbh

"So there's my reason for looking at one and really it's none of your business" - correct, it is none of my business but you were the OP on this. My comment was just my opinion. A question normally requires an answer...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Neil Down said:

"So there's my reason for looking at one and really it's none of your business" - correct, it is none of my business but you were the OP on this. My comment was just my opinion. A question normally requires an answer...

Q - Where can I get a credit card

A - Don't get one, just save up

....my question remains unanswered by you - I still need to know where I can get a credit card

13 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

Agreed.  Check out Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ if you're travelling.  It's a prepaid card, so not exactly what you're lookign for, but you could save quite a bit on their interbank FX rates which are likely to be cheaper than any other type of retail FX you can access.

Immediate top-up via debit card or via direct bank transfer (can take a couple of days)

Available to IoM residents.  Card now includes NFC chip.  £200 ATM withdrawal per month without fees.   No account maintenance fee (bar £5 for the card up front).  Links in with an app to monitor real time transactions.

Interbank FX rates up to £5k per month, then 0.5% fee.

No connection apart from a satisfied user.

ETA: today's rates are 1.1247 EUR and 1.3121 USD

Just now, Bobbie Bobster said:

Agreed.  Check out Revolut https://www.revolut.com/ if you're travelling.  It's a prepaid card, so not exactly what you're lookign for, but you could save quite a bit on their interbank FX rates which are likely to be cheaper than any other type of retail FX you can access.

Immediate top-up via debit card or via direct bank transfer (can take a couple of days)

Available to IoM residents.  Card now includes NFC chip.  £200 ATM withdrawal per month without fees.   No account maintenance fee (bar £5 for the card up front).  Links in with an app to monitor real time transactions.

Interbank FX rates up to £5k per month, then 0.5% fee.

No connection apart from a satisfied user.

Cheers Bobbie - actually ordered a Revolut card this morning!

Just now, Rhumsaa said:

Q - Where can I get a credit card

A - Don't get one, just save up

....my question remains unanswered by you - I still need to know where I can get a credit card

Ah, in that case then, my answer is, Sorry Rhumsaa, I can't help you on that as I don't use them personally. I normally save up until I can afford the item.

As it is not about an item but backup for travel, won't your normal bank card work. Mine has in places like Egypt. All I had to do was notify the bank that I was travelling so that they didn't think there were suspicious transactions on my account

Slight downside is that they have experienced occasional issues with one of their transaction processing partners over the past few months, so I've had 3 or 4 instances of transactions being declined since August.  Possibly trying to grow too quickly as they've just launched business card services.  Still very much worth it for the FX though.

Just now, Neil Down said:

Ah, in that case then, my answer is, Sorry Rhumsaa, I can't help you on that as I don't use them personally. I normally save up until I can afford the item.

As it is not about an item but backup for travel, won't your normal bank card work. Mine has in places like Egypt. All I had to do was notify the bank that I was travelling so that they didn't think there were suspicious transactions on my account

I like to carry multiple cards in different wallets

Also I like to keep my normal bank account not full to the brim with cash in case it's stolen

And I am thinking I just want a credit card so that if the worst happens I can just bung it down to get a flight or whatever

20 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I needed mine for a deposit on car hire, it's a lot easier to get your money back with credit protection. It didn't stop people telling me I was an idiot and to start saving my own money rather than borrow someone elses.

I'm with IOM bank and I had to jump through hoops trying to getting a credit card, eventually NatWest gave me one, despite the Victoria Street branch telling me it would be impossible as the regulation changed. I was refused by about 6 other companies, apparently my lack of credit history and IOM address were an issue. Ironically I had to take my ID into NatWest to be verified, again I as told I was wasting my time, I've had the card for 2-3 years without issue.

3 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Slight downside is that they have experienced occasional issues with one of their transaction processing partners over the past few months, so I've had 3 or 4 instances of transactions being declined since August.  Possibly trying to grow too quickly as they've just launched business card services.  Still very much worth it for the FX though.

My daughter has a Revolut card which was handy when she was travelling round Europe last year.   It looks a decent enough card overall although I suspect you wouldn't want an issue as their customer services appeared to be based overseas if I remember correctly.

36 minutes ago, notwell said:

My daughter has a Revolut card which was handy when she was travelling round Europe last year.   It looks a decent enough card overall although I suspect you wouldn't want an issue as their customer services appeared to be based overseas if I remember correctly.

I think to be fair, you would have trouble finding any customer services that weren't based overseas.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, Neil Down said:

I think to be fair, you would have trouble finding any customer services that weren't based overseas.

Mytravelcash (no longer available) had their support &customer services  operation on the IoM

Archived