Remembrance Day!

TheDruid-3X3

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, RIchard Britten said:

As is your right.  Enforcement of remembrance is a perversion of what we are supposedly supposed to be remembering.

You are Not Forced to participate in the Remembrance Day Ceremonies.  

You get Your Statutory Day Off with Pay but No One is Forcing You to attend any of the Remembrance Ceremonies.  You can Feel Free to Not Participate if You Don't Feel like it.

That is one of the Freedoms that our Veterans Fought and Suffered for.

3X3

5 hours ago, TheDruid-3X3 said:

You are Not Forced to participate in the Remembrance Day Ceremonies.  

You get Your Statutory Day Off with Pay but No One is Forcing You to attend any of the Remembrance Ceremonies.  You can Feel Free to Not Participate if You Don't Feel like it.

That is one of the Freedoms that our Veterans Fought and Suffered for.

3X3

No statutory day off in the Isle of Man or United Kingdom.  Remembrance ceremonies take place on the nearest Sunday to the 11th November.

There has been a recent trend in the UK to enforce remembrance.  The Daily Wail in particular has led this and regularly criticises people and organisations for not wearing/displaying a poppy around this time of the year.  

I feel that the poppy is gradually being politicised by nationalists.  I choose to wear a poppy, and whilst I respect all who have served in the armed forces, I particularly remember those who fought during the two world wars.  

11 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

No statutory day off in the Isle of Man or United Kingdom.  Remembrance ceremonies take place on the nearest Sunday to the 11th November.

There has been a recent trend in the UK to enforce remembrance.  The Daily Wail in particular has led this and regularly criticises people and organisations for not wearing/displaying a poppy around this time of the year.  

I feel that the poppy is gradually being politicised by nationalists.  I choose to wear a poppy, and whilst I respect all who have served in the armed forces, I particularly remember those who fought during the two world wars.  

There in lies part of the problem,  poppy wearing (and not just the original plastic and paper poppy, but ever growing and ever grander ones) begins well into October, with TV peeps being almost brow beaten into wearing one weeks in advance.

4 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

There in lies part of the problem,  poppy wearing (and not just the original plastic and paper poppy, but ever growing and ever grander ones) begins well into October, with TV peeps being almost brow beaten into wearing one weeks in advance.

2 weeks before is hardly excessive.....

4 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

Remembrance ceremonies take place on the nearest Sunday to the 11th November.

So that is how you do it over there.

We do it on the Exact Day and are given a Stat Day Off with Pay.

Having it as a Paid Stat Day Off, you won't see anyone on our side of the Pond writing to Abolish Remembrance Day anytime soon.

3X3

2 minutes ago, PottyLisa said:

Is so!

Is Not!

Actually, I have seen some People acquire the Habit of Wearing Poppies all year round.

To them, they have the Attitude that Remembrance Day should not exist just One Day of the Year but exists All 365 Days of the Year (paraquoting Dickens Ghost of Xmas Present).

3X3

There has been a subtle shift in the meaning of remembrance and "lest we forget" over the last 97 years.

There are no WW1 veterans left to take part, and no relatives who were actually alive then who do remember them as real people. Yes there  are families and a few who knew survivors.

WW2 is approaching that. Someone who was called up in early 1945 will be short of 90, just.

in the UK the last 20 years there has been an vocal outcry and demand that everyone is must wear a poppy and that if they do not they are somehow letting the side down and are excoriated if in the public eye.

In addition the manufacture of poppies has moved from disabled ex servicemen to commercial. We now have Armed Forces day to celebrate, or not, as we see fit, the Armed Forces and their auxiliaries.

And that's the rub, the "or not". Those wars were fought so we had the freedom to make that choice.

The final thing, and to me it's the most important, is that one half of remembrance and " lest we forget " was not about the sacrifice of individuals, but the equally important remembrance of the horrors of all out war and so that we never, ever, allow it to happen again. That appears to have been  completely forgotten.

For all those reasons I won't wear or buy a red poppy, but I do buy and wear a white poppy from the Peace Pledge Union.

I've wondered why there seem more pressure now to wear a poppy. Why instead of simply a minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday, is there one on Armistice Day too, or the Friday before Armistice Day if it falls on a weekend and before every football match for two weeks either side. Celebraties wearing more elaborate jeweled poppies, poppies on every lamppost in Port Erin. People sharing picture of their great great uncles who were on the Somme. 

Why when people who thought in these wars or lived through them were in charge was it more dignified and restrained?  Is it perhaps, that each generation remembers in its own way. The "last twenty years" is the post-Diana era, where we use symbols more to identify with things. And this is the way we remember now. 

Archived