Remembrance Day!

TheDruid-3X3

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

I've wondered why there seem more pressure now to wear a poppy. Why instead of simply a minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday, is there one on Armistice Day too, or the Friday before Armistice Day if it falls on a weekend and before every football match for two weeks either side. Celebraties wearing more elaborate jeweled poppies, poppies on every lamppost in Port Erin. People sharing picture of their great great uncles who were on the Somme. 

Why when people who thought in these wars or lived through them were in charge was it more dignified and restrained?  Is it perhaps, that each generation remembers in its own way. The "last twenty years" is the post-Diana era, where we use symbols more to identify with things. And this is the way we remember now. 

Unfortunately Declan, we now live in a society where "look how we care more than you do" seems to be the in thing. I'm of an age where my grandfather, father and uncles fought in the last war. I have served in N Ireland at the height of the troubles, so to me wearing a poppy is my choice and my choice alone. If people don't want to wear them then that's okay with me. After all, the freedom to do what we want is why so many brave people lost their lives in the wars.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Declan said:

I've wondered why there seem more pressure now to wear a poppy. Why instead of simply a minutes silence on Remembrance Sunday, is there one on Armistice Day too, or the Friday before Armistice Day if it falls on a weekend and before every football match for two weeks either side. Celebraties wearing more elaborate jeweled poppies, poppies on every lamppost in Port Erin. People sharing picture of their great great uncles who were on the Somme. 

Why when people who thought in these wars or lived through them were in charge was it more dignified and restrained?  Is it perhaps, that each generation remembers in its own way. The "last twenty years" is the post-Diana era, where we use symbols more to identify with things. And this is the way we remember now. 

I agree it's a shift, post Diana, the post Diana syndrome, where we are all apparently need to be involved and make grand public gestures.

Yes, of course its generational, but I think it's at risk of becoming the very antithesis of what it set out to be. It certainly is no longer dignified or restrained.

6 hours ago, woody2 said:

2 weeks before is hardly excessive.....

Given that Armistice Day is on the 11th November and that the remembrance services are on the nearest Sunday then two weeks before is the 28th October.  Richard was commenting on the push to buy poppies and wear them from the middle of October which does seem to be creeping in.

I agree that this does appear to be a post-Diana phenomenon in which we all have to be seen to be mourning or caught up in grief.  It is the same thing that drives the flag profile pictures on facebook to mark recent terror attacks.  

I have visited the battlefields in Europe and can only imagine the horrors that WW1 and WW2 brought to the entire continent.  I had family members serving in those wars but don't share their photographs.  It all strikes me as making the act of remembrance very tacky.

As I have said previously I also feel that the likes of UKIP and Britain First have politicised the act of remembrance in an effort to discredit Johnny Foreigner whilst conveniently forgetting that Britain drew people from the Empire to fight on its behalf in both World Wars (remember the Spitfire image that was used by UKIP which they had not realised was from a Polish Squadron?).  Just don't tell them that Muslims also fought for the allies!  They would have a meltdown! 

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Given that Armistice Day is on the 11th November and that the remembrance services are on the nearest Sunday then two weeks before is the 28th October.  Richard was commenting on the push to buy poppies and wear them from the middle of October which does seem to be creeping in.

poppy appeal start date is the 26th october, hardly the middle, its always been around 2 weeks* before......

(* depending on when it falls)

12 hours ago, John Wright said:

in the UK the last 20 years there has been an vocal outcry and demand that everyone is must wear a poppy and that if they do not they are somehow letting the side down and are excoriated if in the public eye.

That is something similar to Mothers of Service Men pinning White Feathers onto Able Bodied Men who had not Enlisted in the Army during WW1.

I do not agree with using that kind of Peer Pressure to Shame a Person into wearing a Poppy during WW2.  They should do some at their own informed Freedom of Will.

3X3

11 hours ago, Neil Down said:

I have served in N Ireland at the height of the troubles, so to me wearing a poppy is my choice and my choice alone. If people don't want to wear them then that's okay with me. After all, the freedom to do what we want is why so many brave people lost their lives in the wars.

I Agree With You Completely!

15 hours ago, quilp said:

The Waffen SS 13th Mountain Division.

Just for balance... 

hqdefault.jpg

And your point is what?  That Muslims also fought against the allies?  I never said that they didn't.

Some people would have a meltdown if they had to acknowledge that Muslims (and other religious and racial groups because lets face it some member of Britain First and UKIP are not to keen on foreigners of any sort) fought alongside and even in the British Army.

53 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

And your point is what?  That Muslims also fought against the allies?

Yes. As I said earlier, posted just for balance. In case anyone thought they only fought for the allies.

That was my point, well done. 

Archived