Union strikes another devastating blow to IOMG

localyokel

3 minutes ago, woody2 said:

privatise it, the same as the rest of the western europe, iomg are the only ones still to own a bus company....

That's not true. There are 11 publicly owned bus companies in the UK. And public ownership is the norm in mainland Europe. Privatisation has failed to deliver better services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Municipal_bus_company

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, woody2 said:

privatise it, the same as the rest of the western europe, iomg are the only ones still to own a bus company....

If that were to happen, and they didn't give kids and oaps reduced or free fares. Slashed the top heavy management and only operated the profitable routes. I doubt that I'd notice much change in my service or the cost. 

My belief is that the fare-paying passengers already reduce the cost of the service as a whole and contribute to the freebies as taxpayers. 

6 minutes ago, woody2 said:

not one owned by the government:rolleyes:

All owned by local government which is a branch of government. On the IOM the government serves much of the role of a municipal or county authority. It's basically the council.

Public ownership is the norm across all of Europe.

5 minutes ago, Tarne said:

Unprofitable Routes:

Everything else. 

It shouldn't even be about whether or not they are profitable. It should be about whether they provide a good service. Good public transport makes a place better.

8 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

4?

Actually it probably isn't profitable, looking at the route. Jesus wept the bus network is a state.

Routes 1,3,5 are all that's needed for a core, everything else can be taxied to a bus point or ubered.  

Just now, pongo said:

It shouldn't even be about whether or not they are profitable. It should be about whether they provide a good service. Good public transport makes a place better.

Great thinking, using that logic we should get rid of the buses completely here then, because it's shit public transport. 

Just now, Tarne said:

Great thinking, using that logic we should get rid of the buses completely here then, because it's shit public transport. 

I find them good. But there are not enough of them. Especially at night. So the conversation should really be about how money can be made available in order to improve and expand the service.

4 minutes ago, pongo said:

All owned by local government which is a branch of government. On the IOM the government serves much of the role of a municipal or county authority. It's basically the council.

Public ownership is the norm across all of Europe.

so not the government:rolleyes: never mentioned local councils......

anyway iomg is more of a parish council:lol: 

3 minutes ago, pongo said:

I find them good. But there are not enough of them. Especially at night. So the conversation should really be about how money can be made available in order to improve and expand the service.

are the bus cleaners still on £52k a year.....

Archived