Union strikes another devastating blow to IOMG

localyokel

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, woody2 said:

Typical #woodyfact = a thing with a grain of truth but extrapolated out of context or used to support an unrelated case.

That said - you should maybe apply Woody. Though I bet they are paying back more tax than many here who have much more.

20 minutes ago, Declan said:

In fact do Bus Vannin publish their profits/losses on a route by route, service by service basis. Do you know    @Roger Mexico

I'm sure they don't - it's not even that common in the UK because of the way that routes are often the subject of competing bids for contracts.  But in any case, allocation between routes and dealing with overheads is always going to mean that the final figures in this sort of exercise are very manipulable.  Especially when your overheads include the numerous managers at the Court of King Ian and the tendency to buy lots of very expensive toys (the latest buses, ticketing systems, whatever) whether they are needed or not.  The real losses are driven by these sort of costs.

I suspect that irritating automatic gps-driven information system is a good example of this.  They've no doubt bought it at great expense and realised that there's very little to put in it, so filled it up irrelevancies like the Mann cat sanctuary.  It annoys the locals who have to listen to it every day and confuses any tourists by promoting attractions that aren't open at that particular time of day or indeed for several months ahead.  The drivers obviously can't disable it, no matter how much the passenger complain.  It makes Bus Vannin look stupid but they can't get rid of it because it is one of Longworth's toys.

11 minutes ago, pongo said:

Typical #woodyfact = a thing with a grain of truth but extrapolated out of context or used to support an unrelated case.

That said - you should maybe apply Woody. Though I bet they are paying back more tax than many here who have much more.

i was asking if it was still going on, no more.....

7 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Obviously that's from the Express, so it probably isn't true, but if it is on the basic salary thats what, £12 per hour cleaning buses? Nice, and then overtime at double pay? You'd have to be working 70 hour weeks to pull that in. Where do I apply?

have iomg taken legal action then?

2 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

From the Minutes of 10th October 2012 page 3 , interesting to see the view of some senior civil servants to civil service remuneration

• Mr Longworth advised the meeting of his salary advising that comparative to the UK he was underpaid

• Mr Callister advised the meeting that Civil Servants were poorly paid compared to comparative islands of Jersey and Guernsey and that it was difficult to compare to the UK

•Mr Callister advised Civil Servants were paid ‘peanuts’ compared to the Private Sector

•Mr Black advised the meeting of his salary, supervising 1000 staff, regularly working 7 days from 8am to 8pm and did not feel he was ripping off the tax payer

•Mr Longworth advised that the bus drivers pay was ‘on the high side’

That's wonderfully revealing isn't it.  I actually had to look up the actual minutes to check you hadn't made it up, it is such perfect self-satire.  Naturally this outburst of angry entitlement originated when it was suggested that management take a pay cut in the same way as the drivers.

Of course IOM civil servants are better paid and have better conditions that UK ones, though they have done their best since to hide the Manx figures.  And of course management expect to be paid at least as well as their UK counterparts, though what they supervise is less than 1% of what they would in the UK.  And of course they also expect the same number of deputies and other hangers on.

Black's indignation is particularly comic, given that whenever he appears before a Committee he seems to have very little idea of what his '1000 staff' actually do.  Or even how many there are (the estimates for 2012 give an FTE of 762.7)

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's wonderfully revealing isn't it.  I actually had to look up the actual minutes to check you hadn't made it up, it is such perfect self-satire.  Naturally this outburst of angry entitlement originated when it was suggested that management take a pay cut in the same way as the drivers.

Of course IOM civil servants are better paid and have better conditions that UK ones, though they have done their best since to hide the Manx figures.  And of course management expect to be paid at least as well as their UK counterparts, though what they supervise is less than 1% of what they would in the UK.  And of course they also expect the same number of deputies and other hangers on.

Black's indignation is particularly comic, given that whenever he appears before a Committee he seems to have very little idea of what his '1000 staff' actually do.  Or even how many there are (the estimates for 2012 give an FTE of 762.7)

What was that last link you posted Roger? It's giving me a 404. 

12 minutes ago, James Hampton said:

What was that last link you posted Roger? It's giving me a 404. 

Sorry forgot to put the # in.

It's the Budget for 2012-12, but previous versions have mostly disappeared from the government website, so you have to retrieve them from the Tynwald one.  There may be some technical problems with that, such as later revisions, but it's the best we have.

Archived