"Compelling evidence that we may not be alone", says Pentagon official

Ragnarök

The former head of a secret government program to investigate UFO sightings told several media outlets that extraterrestrial life may exist. Simultaneously, the public benefit corporation he is affiliated with has raised more than $2.2 million to research "exotic technologies" affiliated with "unidentified aerial phenomena."

"My personal belief is that there is very compelling evidence that we may not be alone," said Luis Elizondo, the person who formerly managed the Pentagon Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program, in an interview with CNN.

Elizondo said the program had found "a lot" of strange aircraft while it was in existence. "These aircraft — we'll call them aircraft — are displaying characteristics that are not currently within the U.S. inventory nor in any foreign inventory that we are aware of," he said. [Related: Navy Pilot 'Pretty Weirded Out' by 2004 Encounter]

https://www.space.com/39169-aliens-may-exist-pentagon-ufo-program-chief.html

It is worth remembering that Professor Stephen Hawking said the following to the Sunday Times back in 2010:

"To my mathematical brain, the numbers alone make thinking about aliens perfectly rational."

How many of you are of the view that UFOs (which are a fact) are extraterrestrial in origin? That is definitely my view. When I was a kid I witnessed what would be described as a flying saucer above me.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ragnarök said:

It is worth remembering that Professor Stephen Hawking said the following to the Sunday Times back in 2010:

How many of you are of the view that UFOs (which are a fact) are extraterrestrial in origin? That is definitely my view. When I was a kid I witnessed what would be described as a flying saucer above me.

We always got told off as kids for playing under the table . We saw flying plates and dishes too sometimes:lol:

I'd say that extra-terrestrial life is a near certainty in the universe, and that the likelihood of us ever finding it or communicating with it (except maybe microbes elsewhere in our own solar system) is virtually zero.  The reasons are the size of the universe meaning that life will be bound to have evolved elsewhere, but given the age of the universe, and the distances involved, with the speed of light being a limiting factor, there is a near zero chance of anything else coming close by during the small fraction of the universe's duration that we'll be around to notice it.

UFOs are therefore terrestrial in origin - military or natural phenomena probably.

I came to the same conclusion as wrighty a while ago.  If faster than light speed of travel is impossible (which as far as we know, it is) then the chances of intelligent life evolving at the same time as us, within travelling distance of us, is very very small.

Also, advanced intelligent civilisations may have an innate tendency to destroy themselves very quickly so may only have a short shelf life.  Look at mosquitoes for example: not the brightest of creatures, but they have been around for 100 million years or so:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosquito#Taxonomy_and_evolution

Compare and contrast with ourselves.  Homo sapiens has been around for about 350,000 years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens

we have developed advanced technologies in the last 200 years or so, and already we look like having a high risk of destroying ourselves with resource depletion, nuclear war or over population.   Contrary to popular belief, I do not think that high intelligence is an evolutionary advantage.  It's probably something more like the ridiculously large tusks of the sabre toothed tiger, or the ridiculously large tail of the peacock, or the ridiculously large size of the woolly mammoth: more like a brief evolutionary experiment which leads up a cul de sac to extinction.

Can this thread be merged with teh flat earth one?

Incidentally, are these the same cigarettes that used to advertise "clniically proven to cure sore throats". (note: Advertising Standards Agency or its equivalent only came about in early 1960s)

15 hours ago, Barrie Stevens said:

You're never alone with a Strand...A silly one for all you teenagers..

17 hours ago, wrighty said:

there is a near zero chance of anything else coming close by during the small fraction of the universe's duration that we'll be around to notice it.

Given that there are no dimensional boundaries, surely the chances would simultaneously tend towards it being both infinitely likely and infinitely unlikely.

17 hours ago, wrighty said:

I'd say that extra-terrestrial life is a near certainty in the universe, and that the likelihood of us ever finding it or communicating with it (except maybe microbes elsewhere in our own solar system) is virtually zero.  The reasons are the size of the universe meaning that life will be bound to have evolved elsewhere, but given the age of the universe, and the distances involved, with the speed of light being a limiting factor, there is a near zero chance of anything else coming close by during the small fraction of the universe's duration that we'll be around to notice it.

UFOs are therefore terrestrial in origin - military or natural phenomena probably.

Bang on in every respect.

3 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Bang on in every respect.

Apart from the maths. Maybe. (Not to mention all of the unknowns).

In an infinite passage of time and in an infinite space, the time taken for any particular journey is surely irrelevant. We might miss some specific visit but there is always going to be another one shortly. Like buses.

Archived