Public 'prepared' to pay for healthcare

Galen

13 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Julie Edge is quoted (and there’s a soundbite) on the Manx Radio website this morning spouting off in high dudgeon about the “open chequebook” cost of the forthcoming health review and the fate of previous reviews. So did she therefore express these concerns in last week’s Tynwald debate and vote against the motion? No, she didn’t, because a quick check of Hansard reveals that on the afternoon in question she’d been granted leave of absence. Ok Julie, if you harbour such reservations about the use of our money, perhaps you could do us a favour and actually turn up to do your job. The job for which more of our money is used to pay your generous salary. Charlatan.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/open-chequebook-fears-over-health-review/

So is that the second time she has spoken in over a year ?

What a waste of peoples votes and taxpayers money.

These folk that do not do the job, should leave it. Now ! 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

Agreed, but it should be £10 per visit and a £20 charge if you miss an appointment, same with the dentist.

That's not a saving but a tax and should be done simultaneously with real savings, cutting of waste and doing away with at least one layer of management.

wouldn't that just increase admin staff and a few more managers? plus the benefits lot won't pay anyway..... 

12 minutes ago, woody2 said:
1 hour ago, yootalkin2me said:

Agreed, but it should be £10 per visit and a £20 charge if you miss an appointment, same with the dentist.

That's not a saving but a tax and should be done simultaneously with real savings, cutting of waste and doing away with at least one layer of management.

wouldn't that just increase admin staff and a few more managers? plus the benefits lot won't pay anyway..... 

Natural selection then?

I had it straight from the horse's mouth from a medic this week. There are a lot of people in Nobles who truly care and do their best, but there are others, particularly in admin brought in by the government through bureaus on minimum wage and "you don't get the best people".

As for the consultation about various charging models for services, it is quite obvious what is behind it. The public sector pension fund will soon be empty and they need our money in ever greater quantities for their pensions.

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

.....there are others, particularly in admin brought in by the government through bureaus on minimum wage and "you don't get the best people".

I don’t disbelieve you at all, but why is this happening? If admin personnel are needed why are poorly performing people being brought in from bureaus (by which I guess you mean temps from employment agencies)? Are there not at least 3 options here:

1. Stop using the bureaus that send you shit people

2. Find a supplier of acceptable quality staff and enter in a contract with them as “sole agency”

3. If a demonstrable business case exists for such staff, employ permanent people or fixed term contracts.

Why is “you don’t get the best people” being tolerated?

2 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

I don’t disbelieve you at all, but why is this happening? If admin personnel are needed why are poorly performing people being brought in from bureaus (by which I guess you mean temps from employment agencies)? Are there not at least 3 options here:

1. Stop using the bureaus that send you shit people

2. Find a supplier of acceptable quality staff and enter in a contract with them as “sole agency”

3. If a demonstrable business case exists for such staff, employ permanent people or fixed term contracts.

Why is “you don’t get the best people” being tolerated?

I am sure Wooley has misheard, or been misinformed.

14 hours ago, Uhtred said:

Julie Edge is quoted (and there’s a soundbite) on the Manx Radio website this morning spouting off in high dudgeon about the “open chequebook” cost of the forthcoming health review and the fate of previous reviews. So did she therefore express these concerns in last week’s Tynwald debate and vote against the motion? No, she didn’t, because a quick check of Hansard reveals that on the afternoon in question she’d been granted leave of absence. Ok Julie, if you harbour such reservations about the use of our money, perhaps you could do us a favour and actually turn up to do your job. The job for which more of our money is used to pay your generous salary. Charlatan.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/open-chequebook-fears-over-health-review/

Have another pint of bitter :lol:

I really do love the hospital crowd on here. Between them and the coppers (and ex coppers) the entire public sector panorama of nothingness and resistance to change is fully discussed. 

@ Uhtred. Expediency. It's short term. Temporary staff entail no long term commitment and can be dispensed with summarily. They want the cheapest option short of employing more people on a permanent basis which has implications on the staff employed stats and pensions liabilities.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

@ Uhtred. Expediency. It's short term. Temporary staff entail no long term commitment and can be dispensed with summarily. They want the cheapest option short of employing more people on a permanent basis which has implications on the staff employed stats and pensions liabilities.

But just because a medic said it, does not mean it is true. Sure the hospital used temps, but no reason to assume they are stupid or disrespectful to the service. Try to be realistic please.

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

But just because a medic said it, does not mean it is true. Sure the hospital used temps, but no reason to assume they are stupid or disrespectful to the service. Try to be realistic please.

It was said in earnest with an air of exasperation. I don't see any reason why the person would lie to someone they don't even know. It fits with the impression friends and family have of the hospital. Medics largely fine if you can get past the dire administration. What is unrealistic about that?

1 minute ago, woolley said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

It was said in earnest with an air of exasperation. I don't see any reason why the person would lie to someone they don't even know. It fits with the impression friends and family have of the hospital. Medics largely fine if you can get past the dire administration. What is unrealistic about that?

Dear me.

That is all I'm saying.

What do you mean, dilli? I'm not making it up. I know of truly shambolic situations that they have caused. At least 4 people, family and friends have been put into potentially life threatening situations by sheer incompetence and lack of communication.

In the case of the closest family member, not a peep out of them despite repeated unanswered phone calls and letters, until after it was escalated to the minister, the chief executive and the local MHK. When the person finally got to the appointment six months later than it should have been, the consultant himself called the situation "a disgrace".

3 minutes ago, woolley said:

What do you mean, dilli? I'm not making it up. I know of truly shambolic situations that they have caused. At least 4 people, family and friends have been put into potentially life threatening situations by sheer incompetence and lack of communication.

In the case of the closest family member, not a peep out of them until after it was escalated to the minister, the chief executive and the local MHK. When the person finally got to the appointment six months later than it should have been, the consultant himself called the situation "a disgrace".

Sorry woolley, I have great respect for you from reading your posts for about 8 years, but I am ducking out of this silly disagreement.

I don't even see it as a disagreement dilli, let alone silly, as I don't understand what you object to in what I have written. I assure you that it is entirely factual. I fervently wish it were not so. Really I do. Are we simply to accept such standards and say nothing?

Archived