Public 'prepared' to pay for healthcare

Galen

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, The Lurker said:

You're spot on regarding recruitment; it's estimated (and I'm pulling figures from memory here) that about 70% of the GP's on the Island are due to retire within the next ten years with little chance of replacing them.

This was pointed out to IOMG when they made the decision.

I have a neighbour who's a GP and that's exactly what they told me last year, pretty much word for word. 

Also said IOM GPs terms are worse than they are in the UK - longer lists for less money. Recruitment is going to be a major issue. 

The main thing that's surprised me since this announcement is how little reaction it has garnered. It seems most people either don't understand what has been proposed or simply don't believe it. 

3 minutes ago, maynragh said:

The main thing that's surprised me since this announcement is how little reaction it has garnered. It seems most people either don't understand what has been proposed or simply don't believe it. 

Or are as fucking apathetic about this as they are about every other damn thing.

11 hours ago, asitis said:

Eddie Teares pension meddling is at the root of many problems ! After having a rant on the telephone to a senior guy in government he said to me " we told him not to do these things "

How true that is I don't know, but I do know that sorting pensions out when you have paid in both the UK and here for a long time is a nightmare ! that alone can't help recruitment !

Exactly the same issue with the splitting of the state pension which should never have been done. What a can of worms, and what a barrier to recruitment of key workers. Not to mention those of us who have been here for decades having been told one thing only to find out it will be something totally different. Going to be some pretty disgruntled people around when this all pans out.

Teare and his time and colleagues and advisors (if he had any) may well have consigned us back to the 50s in terms of the Island being any sort of an attractive place to live and work fir the sort of professionals we need.

The last administration, if not the present, needed to be looking to the future - not marking time to the pensions rip cord. 

For what it's worth, my ( unqualified) opinion is that for the size of the island, we have too many GPs already.

We also have far too many shirkers and wimps looking for sick notes, taking the GPs time and resources away from the genuinely ill folk that need it.

Too many people google their aches and pains and are suddenly at deaths door and HAVE to be seen ASAP by their GP. Pussies.

8 hours ago, dilligaf said:

For what it's worth, my ( unqualified) opinion is that for the size of the island, we have too many GPs already.

We also have far too many shirkers and wimps looking for sick notes, taking the GPs time and resources away from the genuinely ill folk that need it.

Too many people google their aches and pains and are suddenly at deaths door and HAVE to be seen ASAP by their GP. Pussies.

i think we have enough GP's,  the bottle neck is the hospital end of things  where people wait long months for some scans and some surgeries.( unless you pay and go private )  and during these waiting months the sick folk are back to the doctors regular because they aren't getting to the finish line without a cheque book.

3 hours ago, WTF said:

i think we have enough GP's,  the bottle neck is the hospital end of things  where people wait long months for some scans and some surgeries.( unless you pay and go private )  and during these waiting months the sick folk are back to the doctors regular because they aren't getting to the finish line without a cheque book.

Spot on , I went private and still waited the thick end of 3 months , you may be seen tomorrow if you pay in the UK but it's like that at "Nobles' .

Just saying

3 hours ago, paswt said:

Spot on , I went private and still waited the thick end of 3 months , you may be seen tomorrow if you pay in the UK but it's like that at "Nobles' .

Just saying

So let's get this right,you were diagnosed with ( fill in ailment ) and then opted for private surgery,we're you told the waitig time for the procedure and satisfied with this?, and was the option to have this in the UK open to you?, just wondering because if I was told private surgery would be 3 months hence i would be on the boat next day, i'm confused!?.

57 minutes ago, twinkle said:

So let's get this right,you were diagnosed with ( fill in ailment ) and then opted for private surgery,we're you told the waitig time for the procedure and satisfied with this?, and was the option to have this in the UK open to you?, just wondering because if I was told private surgery would be 3 months hence i would be on the boat next day, i'm confused!?.

It was an endoscopy and ( as previously stated on this site) I was advised that the waiting time would run to many months but I could get it sooner if I went  "private" .

I could have have gone across and been seen a lot quicker than paying to have it done on island  but TBH felt so rotten (been in A&E 3 times) that I couldn't face the prospect of travelling .

I was pointing out that paying on island can still involve a considerable wait , I feel sorry for those who haven't got the cash to pay . I just looked on it as the cost of a holiday abroad.

22 minutes ago, paswt said:

It was an endoscopy and ( as previously stated on this site) I was advised that the waiting time would run to many months but I could get it sooner if I went  "private" .

I could have have gone across and been seen a lot quicker than paying to have it done on island  but TBH felt so rotten (been in A&E 3 times) that I couldn't face the prospect of travelling .

I was pointing out that paying on island can still involve a considerable wait , I feel sorry for those who haven't got the cash to pay . I just looked on it as the cost of a holiday abroad.

if you hadn't paid you'd probably still be waiting.

17 hours ago, dilligaf said:

Expensive, but would make a great headstone. Could even attract tourists, worth looking into grants etc.

Archived