Solo - A Star Wars Story

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

saw it the other day, it was ok

A reasoably good adventure romp, Ron Howard did a decent job of rescuing it from disaster.  The shoehorning of Star Wars canon bits into these types of movies is getting a bit tiresome though, why can't we have some brand new stories?

1 hour ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

A reasoably good adventure romp, Ron Howard did a decent job of rescuing it from disaster.  The shoehorning of Star Wars canon bits into these types of movies is getting a bit tiresome though, why can't we have some brand new stories?

They tried those (the sequel series) and the "fans" (toxic angry white broflakes) didn't like them.

2 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think Bobby means why can't we have some movies that aren't about Star Wars. (I'd add or Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or the marvel universe's lesser lights).

You mean other than the 40 RomCom by the numbers, reboots, children's feel good animations, musicals that are released every week?

31 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think Bobby means why can't we have some movies that aren't about Star Wars. (I'd add or Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter or the marvel universe's lesser lights).

My original thought was why not a story set in the SW universe but about something completely different (Rouge One was an attempt at this).  Upon reflection though, I believe the SW universe has too many inconsistencies, hand-wavy bits and isn't 'deep' enough to support a story away from the Jedi/Rebel vs. Empire story.  Contrast this with Iain M Banks Culture universe which has provided a rich framework for all sorts of different stories.

But actually, I'd go with Declan and say why can't we have brand new stories.

Unfortunately the answer is the RoI on franchise movies is better (familiar character, familiar story, no-brainer ticket buying decision), but this develops a feedback loop where everything needs to be bigger and bangier in each successive movie, pushing the budget up.  Hence there's (almost completely) only big-budget smasheroos or low budget indies.  The mid-budget movie has almost died out - which is the segment that you're more likely to be able to experiment with a brand new story.

And then there's the Netflx effect.  And the fact that series TV can be a better medium for telling a complicated story beloved of the modern world than a 2hr movie.

23 hours ago, Bobbie Bobster said:

Two things took me out of the film

1. All the new interesting characters kept dying just like in Rogue 1, therefore I stop caring about them as they will all be dead unless they are from the original trilogy

2. It's a huge universe, the chances that all these people keep constantly bumping into connected characters seems terribly unlikely. Also I'm struggling with time, so early 20's Solo is around at the same time as 8 year old Anakin? so.... he's like 50 when Luke meets him?

ETA after my mental thought dump I googled it and found this http://www.yodasdatapad.com/ages.html 

17 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

An infinite universe guarantees it's inevitable.

over an infinite amount of time yeah not like.... 30 years

1 hour ago, Rhumsaa said:

over an infinite amount of time yeah not like.... 30 years

That rests on Lucas's shoulders after his plot line gymnastics trying to tie loads of pre-existing characters togather (R2-D2 is a major example of this).

It is interesting to see the difference between the prequels and the originals once George didn't have the expert hand of Marcia guiding him.

It isn't guaranteed in an infinite universe.  An infinite universe made of concrete will behave differently from an infinite universe containing nothing but a feather etc etc etc and infinite times.

In an infinite universe not everything is possible - you could try an infinite number of times, but you will never be able to jump to the moon or swim down to the Marianas trench.  Some acts of the imagination are impossible.

Your infinite universe isn't any infinite universe, it is a subset of the infinite universes where the conditions you want it to have are met which basically makes it tautologous. Sure in your infinite universe it is guaranteed to happen, but this is a very very special subset of infinite universes and in any general infinite universe it ain't going to happen.  I've written this before - the set of real numbers is infinitely large, but that doesn't mean anything can happen in that set.  All you get is numbers.  Infinite universes can be just as restricted. 

Archived