Red Arrows 2018

dilligaf

Can I just say how fantastic I thought the Red Arrows were tonight over Douglas.?

We were at Port Jack and the place was rammed.

The display was a bit different to other years and we all thought it was very, very well performed.

It takes a very special sort of pilot to carry out such a precise display and I raise my hat to the whole team.

A big THANK YOU from us. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Notwithstanding their skill, I find them a bit dull. 

So just out of curiosity, what excites you, apart from a special delivery of Tesco Finest large cucumbers?

36 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Notwithstanding their skill, I find them a bit dull. 

They are superb. However, I can see the angle that watching them year after year for decades could wear a bit thin if that's what you mean. We certainly don't go every time they are here. Mind you, that goes for the racing too, and everything else in life, variety being the spice.

I love the Red Arrows, the display has been a part of the TT for the best part of half a century, I guess.  (Someone will tell us when they first displayed at the TT, but I can remember them from childhood.)  Why anyone would be sniffy about a free to the masses display, I cannot understand.  

Mind you, I suspect the negatives are really just a reminder that there are those of us who are far more intellectual and somewhat more superior than the rest of us.  Probably the same bunch of intake who really think that the TT is just a huge inconvenience rather than an intrinsic part of living here. 

I have no great love or understanding of motorbike racing, but I love seeing the island alive and people actually enjoying the place. 

8 hours ago, Gladys said:

Why anyone would be sniffy about a free to the masses display, I cannot understand.

Because its not even remotely free.  How many hundreds of thousands of pounds do you think it costs to keep those planes in the air just for the period of the display, let alone transit time back and forth to said display, the hundreds of thousands of pounds it costs to maintain those planes, pay for the dozens of support staff and pilots, etc.

8 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

Because its not even remotely free.  How many hundreds of thousands of pounds do you think it costs to keep those planes in the air just for the period of the display, let alone transit time back and forth to said display, the hundreds of thousands of pounds it costs to maintain those planes, pay for the dozens of support staff and pilots, etc.

From the chap who was "giving it large" about his military service in the RAF ,previously on this site  ( albeit as a pencil squeezer)  , :lol:

Archived