Tesco car park.

Chris Jericho

I’ve heard today from someone that works in Tescos that the Douglas council have taken over the rights to Tesco car park and starting in a few weeks time, Some of the car park will be resurfaced and also it will become disk zone only. Anyone else have more news or is it all kept quiet so the council came slap £60 fines on most cars parked there all day? 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Chris Jericho said:

I’ve heard today from someone that works in Tescos that the Douglas council have taken over the rights to Tesco car park and starting in a few weeks time, Some of the car park will be resurfaced and also it will become disk zone only. Anyone else have more news or is it all kept quiet so the council came slap £60 fines on most cars parked there all day? 

How have they "taken over the rights" to privately owned land?

56 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

I thought as much.  "Story" is dripping in "bloke down the pub" vibes.

There may be plans to use some sort of timing control, ANPR etc to stop the day parkers, maybe subcontracting it to Parking Controller who police other car parks? Tesco will pay a fee and get what is collected or someone like parkingeye will pay a fee and collect the "fines"

No harm, especially the drop off zone outside that is used as parking spaces. Tesco's do not seem capable of enforcing their own regulations so a professional firm may have a better chance.

Although finding that firm may prove tricky!

Take note, it is happening soon folks. I think Tesco have employed somebody to run the car park. They have been inundated with complaints about people parking their cars there for free then heading into work. Can't come soon enough

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

There may be plans to use some sort of timing control, ANPR etc to stop the day parkers, maybe subcontracting it to Parking Controller who police other car parks? Tesco will pay a fee and get what is collected or someone like parkingeye will pay a fee and collect the "fines"

They've had ANPR down there for several year's now,  maybe they've just been a bit slack on the enforcement side of things.

15 hours ago, finlo said:

They've had ANPR down there for several year's now,  maybe they've just been a bit slack on the enforcement side of things.

No, they haven't.  Ever.

Why do you think the Management staff used to take turns "policing" the entrances to the car parks and parking the dot com van across the entrance to the small car park?

They might have done it at one time but they certainly don't do it now and haven't done for some time. I know someone who leaves their van there for hours every single day and he's never been challenged about it.

1 hour ago, ecobob said:

They might have done it at one time but they certainly don't do it now and haven't done for some time. I know someone who leaves their van there for hours every single day and he's never been challenged about it.

I think the Tesco staff got sick of being ignored. Even putting A4 stickers on the vehicles didn't do anything other than cause a litter problem in the car park. Get some barriers in there and offset the cost against your shopping. It works in ASDA in Warrington

7 hours ago, ecobob said:

Well, in a few weeks time they will be receiving a £60 fine. Well what I’ve been told from a worker there, they have hired/ paying for the council guys to come and ticket cars like they do on the prom for example. 2hr disk zone. It is happening and it’s about time it happens too! 

Archived