Thinking of trying Alexa

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2018 at 2:02 PM, TheTeapot said:

It listens to every conversation you have and targets adverts based on what you have been talking about. Also, it is the CIA.

PCs, laptops and iPhones do that already and have done since way before Alexa.

I believe the only way to stop it is to let the battery run right down ie. turning it 'off' won't necessarily do the trick. The other way is to wrap the item in tin foil.

I have five of them around my house. I use them to control my TV, lights, heating, music, alarm clock, cooking timers, news, radio, intercom.

If you don't have Amazon Prime, Amazon Music, or Spotify you will be limited to how much use you can get out of it for music.

She struggles to answer most questions I ask her ask she uses a database of knowledge rather than searching the internet.

When I use my defined phrases to run a routine such as 'Alexa, boil the kettle' you have to say it 2-3 times before she gets it but is fine with non-routine phrases.

I only use the home automation skills, most of the others are fun for a while but soon lose interest quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, Manxman27 said:

When I use my defined phrases to run a routine such as 'Alexa, boil the kettle' you have to say it 2-3 times before she gets it but is fine with non-routine phrases.

How do you get it to boil the kettle, don't you have to flick the switch on the kettle or do you have a smart kettle if there's such a thing?

On 9/10/2018 at 10:13 AM, Manxman27 said:

I have five of them around my house. I use them to control my TV, lights, heating, music, alarm clock, cooking timers, news, radio, intercom.

If you don't have Amazon Prime, Amazon Music, or Spotify you will be limited to how much use you can get out of it for music.

She struggles to answer most questions I ask her ask she uses a database of knowledge rather than searching the internet.

I only use the home automation skills, most of the others are fun for a while but soon lose interest quickly.

I assume that is the wife you are talking about, but we are talking about a robot here !!!!

• 11 months later...
On 10/8/2018 at 2:24 PM, Katman said:

How do you get it to boil the kettle, don't you have to flick the switch on the kettle or do you have a smart kettle if there's such a thing?

On 10/11/2018 at 11:06 AM, Manxman27 said:

I have an AppKettle that is wifi connected and use the Alexa Skill and IFTTT.

https://www.myappkettle.com/

Fantastic. How does Alexa put the effin' water in it?

I set up a routine in the Alexa app to make Alexa announce "put water in the kettle" and schedule it for before I want a cup of tea.

Or in reality, I know when it is scheduled to boil so I'm now in the habit of ensuring it is topped up ready.

The best thing about it is that it displays the temperature of the water in the kettle. This is handy if like me you don't want the water too hot for herbal tea. 

Archived