Motorcyclists Banned From Mountain Road For FOM

La Colombe

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/19/2018 at 7:50 PM, Gizo said:

Use your brain when overtaking or read this idiot guide 

6F209A60-AD8C-4C54-B7EF-2B42929048B7.jpeg

Okey dokey. I’m having a bit of a hard time in getting my head round the idea that the scenario on the right is a courtesy to motorists. In the middle and right scenarios why are the cyclists, whether in a row of 1 or 3 all bunched together? 

Why don’t they leave a sufficient gap between each row that a motorist , or even a fellow cyclist (in the case of the right hand scenario) can overtake one or two rows safely when it would be unsafe to overtake the whole lot at one go?

As a motorist if I am following a car that I don’t wish to overtake I leave sufficient room so that if someone behind wishes to pass me they can do so safely and if safe they can overtake the car in front of me as well, or if not safe, wait for the next safe opportunity to do so. That is courtesy, a concept which appears alien to most, but I stress not all, pedal cyclists.

Having taken a week's holiday I decided to make an unofficial visit to Ramsey today. It seemed mostly closed.

Quite foggy over the Mountain road both ways, but coming back I passed a mountain biker slogging uphill by Guthries. I can't imagine the large and visible police presence at Ramsey hairpin allowed him through so can only assume he joined via another route. Weedy rear light so difficult to see in the fog, albeit it at a low speed. Then I saw another coming up towards Kate's Cottage, and he MUST have passed the cop car strategically parked outside the Creg ny Baa. So I'm guessing they're not actually enforcing this, just offering advice?

6 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Having taken a week's holiday I decided to make an unofficial visit to Ramsey today. It seemed mostly closed

Bet you didn't have a problem finding a coffee shop though, Stu.... :lol:

12 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

Having taken a week's holiday I decided to make an unofficial visit to Ramsey today. It seemed mostly closed.

Quite foggy over the Mountain road both ways, but coming back I passed a mountain biker slogging uphill by Guthries. I can't imagine the large and visible police presence at Ramsey hairpin allowed him through so can only assume he joined via another route. Weedy rear light so difficult to see in the fog, albeit it at a low speed. Then I saw another coming up towards Kate's Cottage, and he MUST have passed the cop car strategically parked outside the Creg ny Baa. So I'm guessing they're not actually enforcing this, just offering advice?

idiots in the mist... could be the title of a film... ;)

Archived