Slopey Shouldered MHK Cregeen

Last Ten

Just heard an article on Manx Radio relating to Castle Rushen School restricting mobile phones during school time, personally I don't care if kids have mobile phones at school or not but sloppy shoulders Cregeen who cannot make a decision to save his life (and if he does its usually a balls up) has put the emphasise of blame onto the school with this issue. 

Via Manx Radio - "Education Minister Graham Cregeen says it's not up to him to measure if the new policy is a success or not".

I thought as Education Minister he is ultimately responsible for EducationPolicy?  He doesn't really want to upset anyone does he?  If it fails he will blame the Head Teacher won't he? 

This guy needs to really grow a set and either direct a yes or no in his Department, rather than sit on the fence.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/high-school-restricts-mobile-phone-use/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems he has succeeded in convincing the treasury that the well maintained and highly suitable castle Rushen High School should be replaced at enormous cost to the taxpayer. Ramsey Grammar School obviously doesn't need replacing, although it's an older building but then it's not in his constituency. He's using our money to get re-elected! 

54 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Just heard an article on Manx Radio relating to Castle Rushen School restricting mobile phones during school time, personally I don't care if kids have mobile phones at school or not but sloppy shoulders Cregeen who cannot make a decision to save his life (and if he does its usually a balls up) has put the emphasise of blame onto the school with this issue. 

Via Manx Radio - "Education Minister Graham Cregeen says it's not up to him to measure if the new policy is a success or not".

I thought as Education Minister he is ultimately responsible for EducationPolicy?  He doesn't really want to upset anyone does he?  If it fails he will blame the Head Teacher won't he? 

This guy needs to really grow a set and either direct a yes or no in his Department, rather than sit on the fence.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/high-school-restricts-mobile-phone-use/

Blame his constituency, they keep electing him. Want he a postman, if So then he's qualified to stick envelopes through holes in doors and not a lot else.

57 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

I think the strategy should be let the head teachers and governors decide what solution is correct for their school. 

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

I think the strategy should be let the head teachers and governors decide what solution is correct for their school. 

As a parent I don't like the idea of my kid not having their Iphone X, I will have to drive them to school in my exceptionally nice car to show how much money I have, completely stupid idea and a waste of my time.

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

but sloppy shoulders Cregeen who cannot make a decision to save his life (and

Would seem that he has made the decision to leave it to individual Head Teachers which is what most parents would like to happen in educational matters. Unless you would like more political interference in these matters? Or did you just want to have a go at Cregeen?

Personally, I believe that all students should be able to take their phones to school but they must hand them in at morning register/tutor group (or whatever it's called these days) and then collect them at the end of the school day. If students are out of school for lunch then they may have them for the lunch period. If they are travelling to another school for some kind of completion etc then the teacher in charge of the group should have them and give them to the students when that session is over if it is to finish as the end of their school day. Yes, quite complicated and time consuming but other than an outright ban I can see no other viable alternative.

I don't care about the rights and wrongs of this policy. The Headteacher should decide what happens in the school. That is what they get paid handsomely for.

If we honestly expect that a balloon like Graham Cregeen should have any meaningful input into educational policy, we should also expect our schools to turn out morons in the future. The real problem here is that we have a political system that fails to attract sufficient candidates with the intellect and record of achievement to fill Ministerial roles in Government, thus resulting in so many positions of political importance being handed to men, and women, of Mr Cregeen's level of ability.

48 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Would seem that he has made the decision to leave it to individual Head Teachers which is what most parents would like to happen in educational matters. Unless you would like more political interference in these matters? Or did you just want to have a go at Cregeen?

That is weak leadership to be honest Kopek, so school A can do one thing and school B something different!  I think an across the board policy would enable a more rigid policy instead of a wishy washy spineless policy that this weak individual promotes.

Yep I am happy to have a go at Cregeen, he is a very highly paid so called MHK that has a record of failure and weak leadership, he is supposedly in position to promote good policy and fairness across Government but chooses to sit on the fence and be everyone’s friend.

As mentioned above his constituents have exactly who they deserve, in my opinion a guy that struggles to promote policy and fairness and a guy best suited to being a painter which he was originally and maybe delivering letters as a postman rather than a person struggling big style trying to head our kids Education system.

25 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

That is weak leadership to be honest Kopek, so school A can do one thing and school B something different! 

That’s the situation on thousands of different issues. 

Lets imagine the government orders a blanket ban on the use of phones at all times. But the computer studies teacher at QEII wants to run a project on mobile ap design. The head can’t grant him an exception. 

OR the government says no ban but there’s a spate of cyber bullying amongst the second years in CRHS. The head can’t act. 

It's not weak leadership if it what the parents want for their kids education, it is giving the parents exactly what they want, for better or worse for their kids.

Perhaps it is a person from an 'ordinary' background, postman, Chimney Sweep etc. who is best able to represent their constituents views? Perhaps a Doctor/ Nurse is not the best person to sort out the Health Service?

On 'phones, of course kids should not be allowed to use them during lessons, break time, lunch time OK but switched off during lessons or is that, compared to their parents use of their phone during work time a breach of their Human Rights???

There is not any need to have a go at any MHK if you want to express an opinion on phone use in school, just give your opinion on the use of phones.

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

That’s the situation on thousands of different issues. 

Lets imagine the government orders a blanket ban on the use of phones at all times. But the computer studies teacher at QEII wants to run a project on mobile ap design. The head can’t grant him an exception. 

OR the government says no ban but there’s a spate of cyber bullying amongst the second years in CRHS. The head can’t act. 

Bit of an over reaction Declan!!!

Were talking about students/pupils using mobile phones that interfere with their education not a Government blanket ban at all times, calm down a bit with your headlines.

Archived