We paid for this. If this is the new face for Douglas, we're in serious trouble.

Augustus

19 hours ago, Howard said:

Yeh, I like those three legs as well. That's an example of modern art done right.

I like the sculpture as well, but I have read somewhere that it was initially meant to be standing among rocks or some sort of low cairn, which I think would have made it more impressive than in its current flat presentation.  Still no doubt the DoI (and its predecessors) know so much better about art, as they do with everything else.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shake me up Judy said:

The one leg kneeling is essential to the artistic concept of  the sculpture and is much more than merely the brace that supports the structure. The 'upright' leg suggests the torso of the sculpture. Take it from there and all sorts of interpretations become possible.  

But it builds on that necessity. And because it’s not just in 2 dimensions it changes with different viewpoints, not just “whichever way you throw” but also whichever way you view.

He did a limited numbered series of miniatures in silver. Very pretty.

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I like the sculpture as well, but I have read somewhere that it was initially meant to be standing among rocks or some sort of low cairn, which I think would have made it more impressive than in its current flat presentation.  Still no doubt the DoI (and its predecessors) know so much better about art, as they do with everything else.

Sounds like it would make it too "busy". I prefer the current minimalism.

Archived