We paid for this. If this is the new face for Douglas, we're in serious trouble.

Augustus

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I've been to some art galleries over the years. A lot of the time I think 'I just don't get it'.

Anyway, here's a link to Mr Duggans fb page for those of you who think his art is shit. Don't tell 'she's with the band' though.

https://www.facebook.com/James-Duggan-ART-405370586234775/

Some of the artwork on Jimmy's page is quite accomplished. Most people don't understand surrealism, it just goes way over their heads, especially the low-browed narrow vision of the philistine locals.

People laughed, were outraged and villifed the likes of Dali, Magritte, Picasso and Kush when their work was first exhibited. Accusations of blasphemy and claims that their output was the work of the devil abounded, yet they became world famous and earned a decent shilling for their efforts. Most lucratively after their demise but that's not uncommon.

If that mural inspired just one kid in that playground, or a couple of those adolescents on their way to the local school, or any Tom, Dick or Harriet to put pen/brush to paper/canvas, and start expressing his/herself through art then all power to Jimmy's elbow...

10 minutes ago, quilp said:

You realise this opinion is complete bollocks don't you? 

You do realize that I couldn’t care less about most of what you post on here? Every artist should be able to take criticism. He’s not a bad artist as his Facebook page shows but the consensus of opinion from the thread above appears to be that specific mural appears to be depressing and awful. Personally if we want to make that area look more like a Belfast Protestant ghetto then we need more depressing artwork like that stuck to people’s houses. Maybe something like this next? 

DFB8696A-EB78-4497-BE5F-F178CCA2F91C.jpeg

It's not my taste - but nor does it look like the stuff in Ireland.That seems like a lazy comparison - the only similarity being that it is on the side of a property. But cities all over the world have murals on the walls of houses. Paris being the most obvious example.

If it gets people talking then great.

13 hours ago, asitis said:

It probably serves a function in keeping children away from LSD !!!

Looks kinda trippy, I think Duggan is probably taking a sleight at everyone with the 'Lemon' below the face.

’It has a few different little nuggets contained in it that the viewer may or may not get. But that’s what I like about it.’

Google Lemon tek.

32 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

So the bit at the bottom of the chart "Note - £600,000 grant to Manx Lottery Trust is received via the Big Lottery Fund." Now, I may be wrong, but that isn't lottery duty, thats a different thing, the big lottery fund is the good causes bit. From the look of that in the book it looks like the gov has lumped it in as lottery duty, but that seems dodgy to me.

3 hours ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Yay, the crap hunter is back being a crap troll. 

Oh no, the dick cannon has lost its dick-wad.  Luckily I catch them as well as Manx crabs.

Art is subjective, not everyone will like it but is there any need for the level of vitriol in the opening, and some subsequent posts in this thread.  

As usual, the gobshites (and their groupies) try and shout down anyone who expresses a rational opinion.

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Some of the artwork on Jimmy's page is quite accomplished. Most people don't understand surrealism, it just goes way over their heads, especially the low-browed narrow vision of the philistine locals.

Dear me.

Sneering, superior, pompous, supercilious nonsense.

Shameful.....

Archived