We paid for this. If this is the new face for Douglas, we're in serious trouble.

Augustus

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two of the comments above indicate that the poster has been too long in the kipper shed/smokehouse or stayed the whole two days at Woodstock (That is one for the teenagers!)..

The mural does however resemble the "Green man" (Forest god) image still to be found around Essex and Suffolk in the names of pubs/inn signs. You can see it carved on the ends of church pews and it was part of village festivities when someone dressed as the Green Man and a girl was chosen as the May Queen...All about nature and renewal etc. 

Lot about it on Google etc

Two of the comments above indicate that the poster has been too long in the kipper shed/smokehouse or stayed the whole two days at Woodstock (That is one for the teenagers!)..

The mural does however resemble the "Green man" (Forest god) image still to be found around Essex and Suffolk in the names of pubs/inn signs. You can see it carved on the ends of church pews and it was part of village festivities when someone dressed as the Green Man and a girl was chosen as the May Queen...All about nature and renewal etc. 

31 minutes ago, Barrie Stevens said:

I pushed the button once nothing happened...I pushed again nothing happened...I tried again nothing happened and so I gave up only to find I had posted three times..Doh! (I blame the Green Man)

You may have fat fingers Barrie but they are faster than that there internet.

The 'canvas' is rather grubby.  Perhaps a base coat on the whole wall first, before laying down the 'art' would have helped.

It is art though.  You may not like it, but it's got people talking, which I'm told is what art is all about.

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Fucks sake there are some miserable bastards on here. Cheer up. 

But it’s terrible art. Nobody is complaining about needing to brighten up Douglas. But that doesn’t. It’s shit and as Roger says it looks like a bad 1970s album cover - or some stupid mural from the Falls Road. It makes that kids park look like some desolate 1970s throwback out of Pink Floyd’s the Wall. 

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

A moving piece, bravely confronting the issues of mental illness but asking more questions than it answers. The schizophrenic symbolism is rampant throughout. The old vagina dilates, but is the new life there revealed in a better position than the old? Viciously mocking, as it does, those that suffered childhood cruelty; an inevitable result of being born the wrong hue, cruelty that is so often life borne. We can see this reinforced in the loaded smile of the artist. The new vagina remains intact but as a witness to the horror of it's future. The paths are clear. Which one shall be taken? The OCD, pristine safety of the left room? Stable but perhaps a tad dull. Boring even. Or the chaotic excitement of the room on the right with it's heavily hinted at danger and promises of fun and frivolity? And a likely early death. The time to choose is now. Which path shall be chosen? 

You should write for the Living Hope Church.

Archived