We paid for this. If this is the new face for Douglas, we're in serious trouble.

Augustus

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

The people I feel sorry for are the householders who thought they were going to be getting a nice picture of "a child reading a book, to tie it in with the library", and instead got a 70s Prog Rock album cover.

I'd much rather he'd reproduced the cover of "Court  of The Crimson King" than the pile of ordure we see.

1 minute ago, Uhtred said:

I'd much rather he'd reproduced the cover of "Court  of The Crimson King" than the pile of ordure we see.

They’re lucky they aren’t being sued by the house owner for the drop in value of having an awful piece of crap painted on the side of it. I hope they aren’t planning to sell in the next 10 years as they might get a surprise. 

56 minutes ago, thesultanofsheight said:

But it’s terrible art. Nobody is complaining about needing to brighten up Douglas. But that doesn’t. It’s shit and as Roger says it looks like a bad 1970s album cover - or some stupid mural from the Falls Road. It makes that kids park look like some desolate 1970s throwback out of Pink Floyd’s the Wall. 

It isn't shit though. Its just not to your (or seemingly anyone else's) taste. I quite like it though, its big, colourful and unusual. 

5 hours ago, Declan said:

Which is largely funded by the UK Lottery.

Yes, and no.

No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK.

The IoM has the tax raised on tickets sold on the Island, which it hypothecates and divides between the Sports, Arts Councils and the Lottery Trust. It’s still tax payers money.

5 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

It's not art, it's just bollocks. If it's meant to be art then its symbolism is really old hat. I'm against all these street murals; it's mere urban camouflage and just draws attention to the dereliction underneath. It only fools the illiterate.

Maybe we should do gable ends of IOM Culture & History - not the twee tourist stuff like Horse Trams and shite, more of relevance to the populous - a former MHK torching holiday cottages, dead bikers rising to heaven on a carpet of JustGiving ££££,s whilst the Govt turn a blind eye, a black hole of pension deficit, Cyclists militantly protesting, or people in new build homes demonstrating against new build homes or to save the bearded fleece wearers of Ramsey time paint a mural of the Pier on the old Police Station - everyone's happy...

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Yes, and no.

No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK.

The IoM has the tax raised on tickets sold on the Island, which it hypothecates and divides between the Sports, Arts Councils and the Lottery Trust. It’s still tax payers money.

That isn't true.

According to this report http://www.mlt.org.im/assets/Uploads/MLT-signed-accs-31-3-17-WEB.pdf they received £150000 from the treasury for that year, the lottery tax you mention, but they also had a grant of £600000 to distribute around the Island from the Big lottery Fund. I don't know how often grants like this are issued or anything, or anything about the subject at all really, but two minutes on the internet find that your bizarre claim (No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK.) is nonsense.

Archived