We paid for this. If this is the new face for Douglas, we're in serious trouble.

Augustus

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

That isn't true.

According to this report http://www.mlt.org.im/assets/Uploads/MLT-signed-accs-31-3-17-WEB.pdf they received £150000 from the treasury for that year, the lottery tax you mention, but they also had a grant of £600000 to distribute around the Island from the Big lottery Fund. I don't know how often grants like this are issued or anything, or anything about the subject at all really, but two minutes on the internet find that your bizarre claim (No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK.) is nonsense.

In this case John is sort of right I think.  The Manx Lottery Trust (MLT) money comes from the 40% of the UK funds allocated to "Health, education, environment and charitable causes". via the Big Lottery Fund (BLF).  The other 60% is allocated 20% each to Sport, Arts and Heritage which have their own distribution bodies and which do not give grants directly to the Island.  So Arts Council money does not come from the BLF (see page 10 of the Report you quote) though some, more community-based, arts, sports etc organisations may get funding from the MLT.  Most of the funding for the Arts Council etc does come from the lottery duty as John said.

But John is wrong in saying that nothing is received on the Island from the Lottery except the hypothecated government duty on sales made on the Island, though I think that was the situation when the Lottery started up.  The block grant from the BLF to the MLT  has been going some time I think.

12 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

In this case John is sort of right I think.  The Manx Lottery Trust (MLT) money comes from the 40% of the UK funds allocated to "Health, education, environment and charitable causes". via the Big Lottery Fund (BLF).  The other 60% is allocated 20% each to Sport, Arts and Heritage which have their own distribution bodies and which do not give grants directly to the Island.  So Arts Council money does not come from the BLF (see page 10 of the Report you quote) though some, more community-based, arts, sports etc organisations may get funding from the MLT.  Most of the funding for the Arts Council etc does come from the lottery duty as John said.

But John is wrong in saying that nothing is received on the Island from the Lottery except the hypothecated government duty on sales made on the Island, though I think that was the situation when the Lottery started up.  The block grant from the BLF to the MLT  has been going some time I think.

Like I said, I don't really know anything about it, it was this claim though "No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK" that I wanted to check because I thought that can't be true. And it isn't.

I might do some reading up on it though, I'd be quite interested to know what the money raised 'for good causes' from the lottery actually goes on. I know that St James Church in Dalby got a grant for their community hub and that £50000 has been pledged for the great sounding new skatepark in Castletown but other than that I know nothing. If i get bored enough I might even read that report I linked earlier :)

Just now, pongo said:

Perhaps the money should just be reinvested in more scratchies. That's what the poor people who buy them would do.

I once sat outside a newsagent where a bloke and his wife had left the kids in the car as they went in to buy scratchcards. They both came back out, sat in the front seat and furiously scratched away, while the kids were climbing all over the place. Not a word was spoken amongst any of them while they were busy hunting for winners. They must have scractched off a few winners, both got out, went back into the shop and came back out again, repeating the same thing all over again.

I've hated the lottery ever since that day.

Now I've seen that awful, awful cash-grab of a mural, I hate it even more.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

That isn't true.

According to this report http://www.mlt.org.im/assets/Uploads/MLT-signed-accs-31-3-17-WEB.pdf they received £150000 from the treasury for that year, the lottery tax you mention, but they also had a grant of £600000 to distribute around the Island from the Big lottery Fund. I don't know how often grants like this are issued or anything, or anything about the subject at all really, but two minutes on the internet find that your bizarre claim (No UK or Euromillions charity, sports, arts or good causes money comes to the Island. It all stays in the UK.) is nonsense.

If i understand the notes to the accounts correctly, then In principle i think JW is correct.

Jimmy Duggan be buggered. This is the work of Aliens!!! Bloody Aliens, they come down here, painting their image on our gable ends. They think this will get us used to the idea of seeing them in Strand St and Thinking, 'Oh, there's an Alien', now we will just accept them as one of us. Next it  will be Alien Restaurants,  Jupiter Jalfraize, Krypton Kung Po and Macmercury burgers.

Mind you, if they're going to do the Prom at 3.00 an hour, Nanu Nanu.

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I've been to some art galleries over the years. A lot of the time I think 'I just don't get it'.

Anyway, here's a link to Mr Duggans fb page for those of you who think his art is shit. Don't tell 'she's with the band' though.

https://www.facebook.com/James-Duggan-ART-405370586234775/

A lot of good stuff on there. The guy is clearly talented. What a shame he chose what he did for that wall by the playground.

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Jimmy Duggan be buggered. This is the work of Aliens!!! Bloody Aliens, they come down here, painting their image on our gable ends. They think this will get us used to the idea of seeing them in Strand St and Thinking, 'Oh, there's an Alien', now we will just accept them as one of us. Next it  will be Alien Restaurants,  Jupiter Jalfraize, Krypton Kung Po and Macmercury burgers.

And people think I post when drunk.:o:lol:

30 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Strand street has been full of aliens for years!

Archived